Golden Datnoid info?

AG458

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2017
When I last visited my LFS, they had a small golden dat in stock. I hadn't heard of a datnoid before joining MFK, so I wouldn't have given it a second look; but, because I'm on MFK, I did. He was a cute little fish, hiding among the black background. One of the workers at my LFS told me that they're skittish and shy. The one for sale was stocked with a jardini arowana, which the worker said was intimidating it, which is why the dat was hiding. However, the ones on MFK look awesome and are out in the open...unless I'm missing something. My current stock contains: a smallish endlicheri bichir, a juvie temensis pbass, and a common pleco in a 60g long. I'm currently saving for an upgrade to replace the 60g. So my questions are: 1) would the golden dat work with my current stock, 2) how long would I be able to keep it in a 60g, and 3) what is some important info I should know before buying the datnoid? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Whichever species it actually is,you should be able to keep the dat in that tank for quite some time as,they are slow growers.....which could put it in danger of being eaten by the much faster growing temensis.

AG458

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2017
Whichever species it actually is,you should be able to keep the dat in that tank for quite some time as,they are slow growers.....which could put it in danger of being eaten by the much faster growing temensis.
Hmm, that's interesting...is there any way to slow the bass down too? He's on Hikari sinking carnivore pellets, not live, so I hope that'll slow his growth down a little.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Hmm, that's interesting...is there any way to slow the bass down too? He's on Hikari sinking carnivore pellets, not live, so I hope that'll slow his growth down a little.
Actually,the pellets more than likely help the tem's growth rather than hinder it as they are said to provide total and complete nutrition as opposed to feeders....couple that with the fact that tems are probably the largest growing of all commonly kept peacock bass.
How long have you had the tem?

AG458

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2017
Actually,the pellets more than likely help the tem's growth rather than hinder it as they are said to provide total and complete nutrition as opposed to feeders....couple that with the fact that tems are probably the largest growing of all commonly kept peacock bass.
How long have you had the tem?
A couple of months. The dat my LFS has is around the same size of my bass, according to my recollection. Also, I'll change my question: is there a way to speed up the dat's growth?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
A couple of months. The dat my LFS has is around the same size of my bass, according to my recollection. Also, I'll change my question: is there a way to speed up the dat's growth?
The best way to speed up the dat's growth is to get it to eat pellets as well....preferably Massavore but it still will be outgrown by the tem.
If they are roughly the same size you have some time for them to grow together a little and size shouldnt really be an issue until you upgrade to a bigger tank....then you can move the tem.

Reactions: AG458

AG458

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2017
The best way to speed up the dat's growth is to get it to eat pellets as well....preferably Massavore but it still will be outgrown by the tem.
If they are roughly the same size you have some time for them to grow together a little and size shouldnt really be an issue until you upgrade to a bigger tank....then you can move the tem.
Ok. Since they're close enough in size at the moment, I think I'll pick up the dat if I can and monitor the tem, endli, and my pleco, although I don't think he should be a problem. I'll let you guys know.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Ok. Since they're close enough in size at the moment, I think I'll pick up the dat if I can and monitor the tem, endli, and my pleco, although I don't think he should be a problem. I'll let you guys know.
Nice....and try and get some photos of the dat so we can figure out which species it is.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store