GOLDFISH DIED THIS MORNING

rvb20

Feeder Fish
Jul 5, 2011
palm springs, ca.
hi,
i have a man made outdoor contrete pond. around 300 gal.
a friend of mine gave me 6 little feeder fish that they didnt need anymore for mosquito consumption.
they grew and grew, had babies, and the babies grew and grew, leaving me with a total of 17 fish.
i never had one die before. the water is clear, proper filtration system .
they are fed twice a day, they get flakes in the morning, and hand fed pellets in the evening. i remove all fish poop once a day with a little vacuum cleaner type thing.
this morning i checked them, and there was 1 floating on top.
when i removed him, there was no sign of disease, as far as i could tell.
his fins, scales, and eyes looked normal.
is it a normal thing to have a fish die for no reason?
i would appreciate any reasons anyone could give me, as i am very much afraid that i will find another floating tomorrow. or tonight.
thanks, rvb20 :nilly: :cry:

gar man

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2008
iowa
First of all Welcome to MFK! And Second, what are the water parameters?

Chris-Chicago

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2010
Chicago IL USA Earth
And don't forget, Goldfish do not live as long as Koi. So Koi, 20-30 years old, very normal.... Feeder goldfish... if you got 5 years you did a really good job in my opinion.

mshill90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
Mechanicsburg, PA
The lifespan of goldfish in captivity is about 10 yrs.. IF properly cared for all of it's life.

There has been record of 100 yrs for koi.

kenjivaj

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2011
fresno
Check your water ph first. It could be a deadly ph crash. And does it goldfish hits it head to the ground. It maybe the gill fluke.

mshill90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
Mechanicsburg, PA
If it was a PH the other fish more than likely would have been affected since they are all the same kind of fish.

Feeders are often ridden with disease and parasites when begin, so something it got when small could have finally taken it's toll.

I DOUBT gill flukes. All the fish would be flashing on the bottom of the pond non stop.

Sometimes there is no reason a fish dies. It's just it's time to go.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store