good camera, decent price?

slowef

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2008
Destin, FL
www.myspace.com
bluehairman;2074185; said:
soo as i see the way you explained is, if it has 18-55mm it has digital zoom (which i know sucks from my point and shoot) but just a single number ie. 33mm would be only optical zoom?
Negative. Digital zoom has nothing to do with the lens which is what makes it "bad". If your point and shoot cam has optical zoom, the lens will retract in and out, this is optical zoom. If the camera zooms in and the lens doesnt move, this is digital zoom.

Optical zoom is much better and is the only thing you should consider when buying a camera (Lens related).

As stated in my previous post, the numbers are referring to the amount of optical zoom the lens has (extreme to extreme).

Ex. 18-55 will have a zoom range of 18mm to 55mm. Most DSLR camera kits come with this size lens.

A 33mm lens would be a non telescoping lens, its fixed at 33mm.

Make sense?

bluehairman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2007
Green Bay
slowef;2074231; said:
Negative. Digital zoom has nothing to do with the lens which is what makes it "bad". If your point and shoot cam has optical zoom, the lens will retract in and out, this is optical zoom. If the camera zooms in and the lens doesnt move, this is digital zoom.

Optical zoom is much better and is the only thing you should consider when buying a camera (Lens related).

As stated in my previous post, the numbers are referring to the amount of optical zoom the lens has (extreme to extreme).

Ex. 18-55 will have a zoom range of 18mm to 55mm. Most DSLR camera kits come with this size lens.

A 33mm lens would be a non telescoping lens, its fixed at 33mm.

Make sense?
Ohh I see. Makes sense now :) thanks

subaroo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2008
missouri
for $600 you can get a nikon d60 with a 18-55 vr lens and for 200 more a 55-200vr (thats a deadly combinaition and cheap setup)

WildCAught

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2007
Riverside, CA
For both Canon and Nikon reviews I highly suggest the search option on kenrockwell.com

He deems the Nikon D40 to be the best entry level Dslr for the price. at 499.99 with lens!! I agree!

I also suggest you do image searches on Flickr.com using "D40" as keywords,
There are a couple excellent aquarium photographers shooting the D40 on Flickr.com.

Check this link to this guy using a d40 for aquarium photography
Flickr.com/photos/reefbum333

HerCrenVie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2007
Singapore
WildCAught;2553978; said:
There are a couple excellent aquarium photographers shooting the D40 on Flickr.com.
:D:D:D

Just kidding.

Anyway Ken Rockwell is actually very biased. Most pro photographers don't take his "reviews" seriously.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store