Good info about use of salts in aquariums

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
I've only ever used salt once on one baby clown loach with ich. Salt would raise the TDS significantly, in my case I dosed gradually up until about 700-800ppm, which was the equivalent of the required dose for ich. It took weeks to bring it down. I can't imagine doing the same as a preventative. It cannot be easy on fish at all, especially if one pours the dose all at once and then takes it out all at once...

Reactions: islandguy11

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I think Barrett is considering preventative measures for his fish, as GW used to say, a preemptive strike. And on that note Barrett, I think that you are already doing that. You keep your tanks super clean, plenty of fresh water, spacious, and as low stress as anyone could hope for. IMO that is the best preventative medicine that one can supply their fish.

Years ago when my wife had her eye on fancy goldfish I purchased a book by Dr. Erik Johnson, and I incorporated a lot of what he stated for goldfish/koi health, and applied them to the rest of our fish. The following is a short but decent read on using salt.

https://koivet.com/a_salt_ciliates.html

Last edited:
  • Love

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
…….. but I have to admit, over the years my #1 treatment for ectoparasites such as ich, flukes, etc, was Mardel Coppersafe, which ironically is now owned by Fritz. https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=5766&ref=dfs

I found that in my hard water with a pH of 8.0, this form of chelated copper was very safe to all fish species that I treated, and very effective at eradicating ectoparasites. This way I avoided any potential issues with strains of "super ich" that were developing years ago, and are still present today.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store