GOOD TANKMATES FOR GATOR GARS??

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
-other than what Lepisosteus platyrhincus and Wiggles have posted, this thread has the worst information on tankmates for alligator gars (or really any gars). the OP should NOT be keeping a gator with any of his current tankmates, and sunfishes, basses, etc are NOT good tankmates for gator gars (nor are bullhead catfishes).

you can keep gators with other gators in large setups or temporarily in step-wise progression of small to large setups; along the way you can temporarily keep them with some other (bigger individual) species of gars, but that's about it. the question was obviously posed before doing any research or even forum research on keeping these fish. read through some other threads first!--
--solomon

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
-other than what Lepisosteus platyrhincus and Wiggles have posted, this thread has the worst information on tankmates for alligator gars (or really any gars). the OP should NOT be keeping a gator with any of his current tankmates, and sunfishes, basses, etc are NOT good tankmates for gator gars (nor are bullhead catfishes).

you can keep gators with other gators in large setups or temporarily in step-wise progression of small to large setups; along the way you can temporarily keep them with some other (bigger individual) species of gars, but that's about it. the question was obviously posed before doing any research or even forum research on keeping these fish. read through some other threads first!--
--solomon
:iagree:

I'm taking an axe to the gar tankmates thread at some point; there's a lot of bad information in there as some people said that certain bad long-term combinations were actually good even though they only had the fishes together for a limited time.

Gator

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2007
Ohio
sites.google.com
Experiment397
... uh no wrong... If its a real gator gar there aren't many fish that will keep up with it growth wise (if cared for properly) and outside of other gator gar of comparable size as mentioned earlier in a pond or aquarium that will give them ample space, the only tank mates that you should have in there are the ones you want it to eat.

Leebtattoos

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2012
Lampasas, Texas
From all that I have read and researched, gar go well with gar...

Gators grow so large, that more than one are not practical for most people to keep, even in ponds. But if you can, I would only keep alligator gars.

Now on a side note, not with gars but with other tanks, I have witnessed plenty of tank mates that shouldn't work, and yet they did. But responsible fish keepers won't recommend this because it's case by case, and isn't "supposed" to work.

Do as much research as possible is always the best answer, even if it's not what you asked ;)

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
Years ago Steinhart Aquarium in SF (before the remodel) had a huge Gator Gar display...it must have been 20,000 gallons with about a half dozen 6' to 7' Monster Gator Gars. These things were enormous! They had tons of breeding Midas in the tank, but those were not really "tankmates" per se...they were more of a food source.

The new Steinhart Aquarium has a Gator Gar display but it's much smaller and the largest gar is maybe 5'. I don't know what happened to the really big guys (see pic below- for scale, those Midas are full grown, easily 1' long).

I really don't think you can keep anything else with these things without risking it becoming lunch.

View attachment 818983

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
The best advise ive seen here in reguards to tank mates for gar.. and i think it probablly applies to gators the best... is anything you keep with a gar is potential food, just dont keep anything with it youde be heartbroken over. there is a thread like this in the catfish forum about a RTC whos more aggressive then normal and has eaten its tankmates... i feed my fish, fish... so its a hit to the pocket book buying other ornimental species as feeders... but ultimately you just dont get attached to expensive feeders... some people may think this is horrible.. but in the end a feeder goldfish is no different then an oscar.. if they both get eaten by your "big fish". its a risk you take. imo ide avoid tankmates like clown loaches or catfish with barbs or potentially dangers to your gar.

personally i keep spiney eels with my floridas and cuban.. they have boney spines along their back.. while these are a pita to deal with when handleing them they protect them for the most part from predetory advances. there are others who have not had this combo work. ive actually seen my big spiney rip my cubans nose up when they both grabbed the same peice of food. personally i wouldnt reccomend this combo with a gator, but ive never owned a gator. my gar are pretty mellow guys, but i do feed them live.

just my 2 cents

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store