Aug 2, 2016
san diego California

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
They are offered widely and often online it seems.

Their species ID can be tough (see the stickie thread by Chicxulub).

Coming from a non-goonch guy, it appears to me they die without an obvious reason more often than they don't (there is a thread on this by Chicxulub too) and, despite so many sold, quite rarely do we get to see a large specimen of 2'-3' and only once I saw a specimen of ~4'.

In sum, they are a specialty fish, sensitive and challenging to raise to a large size on average, that is, some will say it was easy for them, most will say it was hard, some will say impossible... my impression is.

These are some of the reasons I have not embarked on trying to raise a goonch even once yet. Not to mention they are most usually expensive.

$0.02

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
hooliganATV hooliganATV is keeping his outside in a shed here in the UK, he is heating only to 10 deg for the winter and hasn't fed since October iirc. It's an attempt to mimic their natural environment.
Hopefully it works out, they seem difficult but this might be one to follow....
Maybe they just need a break like a deciduous tree.

Reactions: jonah h2o

tbrown7552

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2015
Floyds Knobs, Indiana
Coming from a non-goonch guy, it appears to me they die without an obvious reason more often than they don't (there is a thread on this by Chicxulub too) and, despite so many sold, quite rarely do we get to see a large specimen of 2'-3' and only once I saw a specimen of ~4'.

In sum, they are a specialty fish, sensitive and challenging to raise to a large size on average, that is, some will say it was easy for them, most will say it was hard, some will say impossible... my impression is.

These are some of the reasons I have not embarked on trying to raise a goonch even once yet. Not to mention they are most usually expensive.

$0.02
I would venture to say that its incorrect. I think something was going on to cause that. There hasnt been any recent die offs like that thread showed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store