Got a new 20" Fire Eel and has this white mark. Is it ok?

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
It was upside in a PVC pipe yesterday which I thought it was too small to get into. It didn't come out for food last night so I thought it was stuck. Lifted the PVC pipe vertically and it came out. Not sure if it got hurt on the dragon stone which I like the look of but if it's sharp. Should I get rid of it?

I just got the eel last Thursday

1000029606.jpg

1000029607.jpg

1000029428.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
I think you answered your question...
While the dragon stone is very desirable to look at at, its too sharp
That eel is magnificent
Save the eel, loose the d-stone
Large cobbles and hollow log
Certainly will do... So I was thinking of getting black rain gutter extensions as the cave because it seems like the PVC pipe is just too bright inside for it. Thoughts on that?

When you say hollow log do you mean something that's resin?

Reactions: jjohnwm

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
Cool will get the gutter pipe. All the PVC pipe I had always stays out nothing holding it down. Maybe because it's thicker in material IDK.

I'll look into getting some rocks to help with the look and get rid of the dragon stone.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Like everyone else has said, remove the dragon stone, but I also noticed you have glass rocks in there, those can also cause problems since they tend to be sharp /rough.

Basically, to protect your eel, get rid of everything that is sharp or rough. Also, just personal opinion, I think gray cobbles would look great with the black sand and plants you have.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I have suggested in the past that an excellent product to use as hides and caves is ABS drain pipe, available in various sizes and easily cut to desired lengths. Being black, it's also less visually obtrusive than white or grey PVC, but as Fishman Dave Fishman Dave mentions, it apparently floats in many areas; all the ABS I've ever bought or scrounged in Canada has always sunk; I'm sure the gummint has some obscure "buoyancy laws" that the makers must obey...:headshake

If you use PVC, there are apparently some spray paints that will adhere to it and are non-toxic once cured. I think FINWIN FINWIN has some info on this. When I've used PVC in the past, I've found it helpful to spread a bit of clear solvent cement over the outside of the pipe and then roll it in, or sprinkle it with, aquarium gravel; it blends in very nicely and looks less artificial that way. Be sure to let it cure thoroughly.

Whatever you use, after cutting it to length you should at least use a sharp knife to de-bur the sharp jagged cut edge inside and out, or better yet a rasp or file to smooth it.

That's a gorgeous fish; do whatever it takes to make the tank suit the fish, rather than hoping for the opposite. :)

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
Like everyone else has said, remove the dragon stone, but I also noticed you have glass rocks in there, those can also cause problems since they tend to be sharp /rough.

Basically, to protect your eel, get rid of everything that is sharp or rough. Also, just personal opinion, I think gray cobbles would look great with the black sand and plants you have.
Sounds like a plan...will get to the redecorating ASAP

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
I have suggested in the past that an excellent product to use as hides and caves is ABS drain pipe, available in various sizes and easily cut to desired lengths. Being black, it's also less visually obtrusive than white or grey PVC, but as Fishman Dave Fishman Dave mentions, it apparently floats in many areas; all the ABS I've ever bought or scrounged in Canada has always sunk; I'm sure the gummint has some obscure "buoyancy laws" that the makers must obey...:headshake

If you use PVC, there are apparently some spray paints that will adhere to it and are non-toxic once cured. I think FINWIN FINWIN has some info on this. When I've used PVC in the past, I've found it helpful to spread a bit of clear solvent cement over the outside of the pipe and then roll it in, or sprinkle it with, aquarium gravel; it blends in very nicely and looks less artificial that way. Be sure to let it cure thoroughly.

Whatever you use, after cutting it to length you should at least use a sharp knife to de-bur the sharp jagged cut edge inside and out, or better yet a rasp or file to smooth it.

That's a gorgeous fish; do whatever it takes to make the tank suit the fish, rather than hoping for the opposite. :)
Just looked up ABS drain pipe and that looks perfect especially in comparison to the white PVC. Thanks and will look into smoothen rocks as well. This is the biggest fish I've ever owned so I'm quite mesmerized seeing it in the tank!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store