Got burned by Cichlids of the Americas

Rsc89

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2016
RD, I agree that the OP did jump the gun here and handled his situation the wrong way by immediately attacking Dans name. Attacking someone wont get you far as the person your attacking is immediately going to go on the defense.

Who knows, OP migt have actually been correct then again there is a good possibility he wasnt and with something so hard to prove he shouldnt have bashed someone for something he couldnt blatantly prove. Yet no one went on to agree that possibly he might actually be correct. Instead the fan boys hop on Wikipedia and instantly become biologist.

However, I may be new to the forum but i have lurked long enough to know that its a " no no" to say you had a bad experience with a vendor... Which is bs.

Yes, my situation was quite the opposite of the op but im not here to feed the trolls and argue. I simply learn from my experiences and try to pass my knowledge onto the rest.

Prime examply, the door knob guy who posted about Dan recently replacing his bloated fish. He responds back " Enough about qt go derail someone elses thread". Just shows this guy "knows it all" and his ignorance. He thinks because he ordered from "Dan the man" lol his new fish dont have a possibility of carrying something.

Well, i contaminated a whole 150gallon tank with a nasty case of lymph along with the entire tanks contents. I stress the importance of qt from my experience and this is the response I get.

Passing along knowledge of a vendor to possibly try to help someone gets you ignorant responses such as this guys with his bloated fish. Just because he is another cookie cutter fan boy who thinks theres no possibility of his fish spreading something because he ordered from "the man".

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Instead the fan boys hop on Wikipedia and instantly become biologist

Umm that was mostly me, and I didn't have to jump on Wikipedia. :)
I started a thread on this subject years ago, and had been researching it for years before that. I linked to that discussion, because it has been a sticky on this folder for years now. Hopefully the OP (and others) read that past discussion, and learned from it. As someone else stated previously, there is no need for any vendor to cross breed two fish that are now quite common in the hobby. Plenty of wild stock out there to breed from for anyone selling these fish, such as Dan, Jeff, etc. And if for some reason one doesn't like the looks of that particular collection location, then don't buy them. Doh. Common sense is seriously lacking here.

This coming from someone who has taken some serious shots at this vendor in the past .......

Rsc89

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2016
RD, im not refering to you in general being a wiki warrior... im referring to the masses and not just on this particular subject. Im speaking for the masses on this forum who have no idea what they are talking about and regurgitate information they gather with no personal experience themselves. Yes, you are very knowledgeable on the particular species and you show it well but like i said half the people on here have no idea what they are talking about and throw out information they read.

Yes, plenty out there correct. Why send something that isnt what its supposed to be? To make a buck? Its one person out of many so whats one time? No one gives the op consideration that he might have actually been sent the wrong fish its very well possible. He definitely approached it incorrectly but people make mistakes all the time. In the end who really knows the truth?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Seems to me that due to your recent experience with your lymph fish you are so blind to the facts of this topic, and the experience level here of many of the masses, some many more experienced than myself, that you are now sounding just like the OP.

Reactions: ECW

Rsc89

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2016
Im not blind to any of the facts, I read the posts. I wont deny the fact that there are those out there more experienced than myself, matter of fact I can guarentee there are those more experienced. If i was more sided with the OP who cares? Do you know if hes 100% wrong? No you dont. Does he know hes 100% right? No he doesnt. People are basing conclusions on their experience/research and someones reputation rather than DNA evidence which is pointless in my opinion. However, i do agree he could have handled it a different way rather bash publicly

Last edited:

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I actually stated that there were many here more experienced than myself, I wasn't referring to your skill level at all.

I just find it rather insulting when someone refers to the masses here as ignorant, especially when I see names in this thread from some very knowledgeable long standing members. Duane was one of the first people to point out the obvious - is he also one of the ignorant members that you speak of?

People, including myself, are basing their opinion on many years of experience, and a large dose of common sense, something that is seriously lacking in your argument. Most of us were simply pointing out the obvious to the OP, that one can't simply look at these two species, and be certain as to what the genetics are.

As far as this vendor attempt to pull off a fast one, forget all of the science, and look at this from a common sense point of view.

Amphilophus are relatively easy to breed, even wild caught, and both citrinellus and labiatus have been imported for decades now. These are not exactly a rare fish to find, and when they breed, they produce hundreds of offspring - so much that most hobbyists have a difficult time selling off all of the juvies that are produced, even if they are F1. After F1 I suspect that they are difficult to sell for more than a couple bucks a piece.

Only an idiot, would suspect a professional fish breeder to be breeding mutts from this genus, and selling them to the masses as pure. Not even a vendor that was a no good for nothing crook, would risk their reputation or bother with such a worthless financial endeavor. To think otherwise is simply illogical. Dan has been selling this Costa Rica strain from Lake Arenal for many years, there is nothing new here. Fish being individuals, not all cits in each breeding, especially from different locations, are all going to look exactly the same. That is a fact that Duane mentioned early on.

Hopefully the OP learned a few things from this topic, and he (and others) will be a little wiser before he makes his next online purchase. It's all good.

BTW - IMHO both cits shown by the OP look right as rain to me, they just need some bulking up, and some time to mature. Just like some of the folks posting in this thread.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
im referring to the masses and not just on this particular subject. Im speaking for the masses on this forum who have no idea what they are talking about and regurgitate information they gather with no personal experience themselves. Yes, you are very knowledgeable on the particular species and you show it well but like i said half the people on here have no idea what they are talking about and throw out information they read.
Don't know what threads you've been reading here, but I don't recall seeing many wiki quotes on this forum, at least not on the threads of interest to me...

So can I assume, despite your sweeping statements, that you're able to distinguish between random wiki quotes, or regurgitating hearsay from other hobbyists, and members here with years of personal fishkeeping experience and knowledge, or those who use carefully chosen references to non-hobbyist, professional aquaculture or scientific literature, reflecting in some cases decades of science reading and research on aquaculture or other sciences (and in my case, also science writing), all married to decades of personal cichlid keeping and breeding? Can I also assume that, rather than approaching a topic with the assumption that no else here knows what they're talking about until proven otherwise, your expectation is this is a community of varying levels of knowledge and experience, including some newbies, but others with decades of knowledge and experience worthy of respect... Right?

Rsc89

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2016
I love this forum lol. So many experts, where can one go wrong? Thank you for informing me of your expertise guys and ability to make scientific conclusions lacking DNA evidence based on a internet photo more than likely taken with a camera phone. Im not here to argue and if thats what you guys are looking for, keep it moving or argue amongst yourselves. I have my opinions as im entitled to as well as you. When you are blatantly lied to by a vendor their credibility goes out the window. Why would someone sell mutts? I dont know, maybe to make a buck? Who knows.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store