Got My New Tank!

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
I added some buddies! This is the MAX stocking I’d put in here. 2 Firemouths and a JD about 4.5” long. The Firemouths are about the same size as my GT.
Guy at the store said this JD is really laid back and non-aggressive….he’s definitely larger than everyone so hopefully that’s true!

Also added a second Aquaclear 110.

View attachment 1540261View attachment 1540262View attachment 1540263
Looks good but the new “buddies “‘are not a good idea IMO, good luck though

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Appreciate it! As in tank size being the issue or types of fish?
Yes, You have 3 cichlids that are going to reach a foot and two will be a pair in a 4ft tank. The firemouth with probably be the first to be killed and then the pair of GTs will probably beat on the JD and keep up in a corner until it dies. The 75 isn’t really ideal for just the two GTs but might work, but the others I don’t see any possible way it works for more than a few months.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Let everyone settle down and then we can tell who is male or female. Stressed fish don't show the real colors.

With GTs it quite easy to tell the difference. Males will have bright blue markings in the unpaired fins. Here are examples. 20200320_192801.jpg
Here is a male, see the bright blue markings in the dorsal, tail and anal fin.
20180409_222121.jpg
And a female, no bright blue markings.

Female JDs will have what's we call a blue beard. The area below the eye sweeping back to the gill cover will have a solid blue covering.
20181224_114513.jpg

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
The tank itself looks good, but I’ll have to add on about the new tankmates not being a good mix.
That many large fish will easily overstock the tank, and in so small a system a Jack and a gt just won’t play well. They look too similar and would be competitors.
The jd is a toss up for male/female - it could be a really impressive male (when mine was young hit had almost full blue beard) or a rather dull female (they usually have a lot more blue).

Kustrud

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2023
Appreciate all the feedback! There’s only 2 large cichlids being the GT and the JD. The Firemouths don’t get very large from what I read, so I was thinking this was safe…..? I’ll obviously keep a close eye on it, it’s right by my desk where I work all day so will be easy to see. I guess I’d rehome one of the larger ones if it ends up not working out. I love the mix though so really hope it does! I believe my GT is a female based on the above pictures.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store