Got My New Tank!

Kustrud

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2023
The more I read about this the more I’m thinking it’s some sort of chlorine burn or something. Saying it can take some time to do damage…..maybe it affected some of the fish worse or quicker than the others…

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Kustrud

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2023
I’m wondering if it’s Ick now. Never had it before, but now the smallest of the Danios is dead and the one Firemouth out of the 2 left is looking rough. The Danio last night did have some spots or almost like a velvet sheen going on. But it was late and it was a tiny fish that never stops so I didn’t know if I was just looking too far into it. Now the Firemouth kind of looks the same.

How do I treat my tank for Ick to hopefully save who’s left and be able to add new fish?

I turned temp up to 83, read that after 2 days that’ll kill it. Accurate?

• Sad

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
I’m wondering if it’s Ick now. Never had it before, but now the smallest of the Danios is dead and the one Firemouth out of the 2 left is looking rough. The Danio last night did have some spots or almost like a velvet sheen going on. But it was late and it was a tiny fish that never stops so I didn’t know if I was just looking too far into it. Now the Firemouth kind of looks the same.

How do I treat my tank for Ick to hopefully save who’s left and be able to add new fish?

I turned temp up to 83, read that after 2 days that’ll kill it. Accurate?
Do however long the treatment says, if it is ick. Also put in some dechlorinater to make sure that your tank water is completely safe.

Kustrud

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2023
Do however long the treatment says, if it is ick. Also put in some dechlorinater to make sure that your tank water is completely safe.
I did last night with Prime. Going to do a large water change today and redose again of course and clean the tank up as well. Guess I’ll wait a couple days after that and see.

Cal Amari

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2023
So sorry to hear, thats frustrating when something like this happens. I think a more common treatment for ich is salt, several threads on here. Raising temp alone likely won't do it, and could encourage other bacteria to grow. Also ich goes through different stages, and so you have to treat for like 3 weeks or 30 days, can't remember but has to be long enough to enter free swimming stage to die, when its a cyst it's impervious.

Kustrud

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2023
So dang frustrating, I am not sure what it is. I can say this for certain after watching this morning and thinking back. The fish that are affected, are extremely twitchy and spazzing. Like major violent quick twitches and then random bursts around the tank. The remaining 4 Danios and 1 of the 2 remaining Firemouths look 100% healthy and are eating. The other Firemouth looks rough and is twitchy and then just lays on something.

I don't know if its Ick.....if it were, wouldn't all of the fish be affected by now? Maybe some just had a better tolerance to whatever happened on my last water change than others?

That's basically all I know.....how should I proceed? I did a 90% water change this morning and re-dosed with Prime along with cleaning the tank via scrubbing the walls and vacuuming anything off bottom I could see.

Cal Amari

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2023
I don't have a lot of experience on disease here, but if you can remove any twitching or sick fish to a qt, and monitor the rest closely. increasing wc to every day or 2, fresh water is your friend. any pictures would help, theres members who can easily identify ich by photos, it would affect each fish differently based on their strength and immune system, combined with random chance of which fish the free swimming ich protozoa attach to. You might start a new thread titled help sick fish, or something to catch the attention of members better versed in disease care.

Kustrud

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2023
Alright, so the tank has leveled back out and everyone is healthy. Still not too sure what happened, thinking maybe my buddy over-fed them possibly? Still not positive as I never had any ammonia or anything register.....is what it is at this point. Here's where we're at now:

1x - New Baby Green Terror about 1.5"
1x - Firemouth that survived the tank crash
4x - Giant Danios that survived the tank crash
1x - New 4" Featherfin Catfish
1x - New Baby Tiger Oscar
1x - New 4" Bichir

All of the new fish have been in for several days now and happy and begging for food. The Oscar LOVES to eat lol!

I know, a 75 is small for all of these fish when grown, but I have decided to go to a 125 about this time next year. The Firemouth may or may not stay, we'll see if it works out as I know they like to be in groups but he seems really happy so far. GT and Oscar are my top 2 - always wanted an Oscar and a bright male GT! Everyone is getting along swimmingly so far! I have the space and can upgrade to a 125 sooner if needed. 1.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store