Got no interest in dedicated section sooooo.....

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
I used to have a spotted gar when I did live in England and I fed him on Cockle, Mussel, Prawn (raw) he would come up to the surface and let me hand feed him (with tonges)

my florida now would never do that

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Now that you have a bunch of people subscribed to this thread, I'm gonna bounce it back over to the Gar section.

Personally, I wouldn't risk a gar with a silver fish, but I err on the side of caution.

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
first of all, I don't think that you can get a spotted gar in UK, it most likely is a Florida gar.
And gar do not mix with silver fish that really well, unless you have a ridiculous setup that only a few people in UK have. Feeder is really important for gar at that size because they need food all the time(unless it is stunted and already is an older fish) so they can grow normal, but you can feed them other food as well if the gar accept it because you can't buy feeder where you live. It's just that the gar might not grow as big as some people's gars after 10 years or so.

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
I have to disagree with HungDang about your fish being stunted by feeding your gar non live food because I have a gator gar and he is five times as fat as when I got him and grew a few inches in a few inches in a couple of months he is at least 26 inches long and he only ate goldfish when I first got him.now he eats krill,Tilapia fillets,Hikari floating Carnisticks. he will even eat HBH alga grazers it was the best thing I could have done,because he is not as aggressive as when I first got him.HungDang He also says every time someone post that they have a spotted gar it is not so I guess nobody ever gets one that kind of sad that nobody can get one

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
I have to disagree with HungDang about your fish being stunted by feeding your gar non live food because I have a gator gar and he is five times as fat as when I got him and grew a few inches in a few inches in a couple of months he is at least 26 inches long and he only ate goldfish when I first got him.now he eats krill,Tilapia fillets,Hikari floating Carnisticks. he will even eat HBH alga grazers it was the best thing I could have done,because he is not as aggressive as when I first got him.HungDang He also says every time someone post that they have a spotted gar it is not so I guess nobody ever gets one that kind of sad that nobody can get one
wait another 10 years or so and see if he can pass 40''.

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
I also feed non-live and my gars are fat and happy. They love market shrimp and Tilapia filets.

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
I hope he does not get over 40 inches that is plenty big for me other wise I will donate it to a public aquarium after it reaches 48 inches I only have a 420 gallon tank and he would take up half,so from your mouth to gods ears

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store