Got the 300! Filtration ideas needed!

Steveo McNello

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2010
SW Burbs of Chicago
Sold all the koi 15 minutes ago. Pond tear down stars soon. Anyone local interested in buying everything but the pump for cheap? Easy reassemble.

tazjack

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2010
Illinois
Glad youre finally building your tank setup. Let me know how things go with your stand. I was told that i made more work for myself by putting the legs on top of the base so i had to go back and reinforce with corner brackets, plywood, and angle bracing. Hopefully it wont fall:) i think you should just readjust your old sump. I cant remember what volume yours was...but i think it should be okay unless you want something that can tuck comfortably underneath. I agree that it depends on what you want. How would you utilize the sump space and would you want any added volume to the tank by going with a larger sumps (seems like you may not)...but things like someone mentioned above. Goodluck. Let me know how things turn out. Also what will you be adding:)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Steveo McNello

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2010
SW Burbs of Chicago
That sounds doable. I just need to drill a hole for my external dolphin pump, and then drill another hole higher than that because it's going to be the drain for my drip system.
Haha thank you very much Tiffany! I don't think I'll be able to use my pond sump. May sell it, plus it won't fit in the stand, and doesn't have a lid. I mean, I have more than enough room to put it behind the tank, but I'd need some sort of lid. Not sure I'm sold on it. It'll be hard to do. And I know I will have a ray or two!

scott m

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2010
nw indiana
The 55 gallon tank idea will work, but don't ever forget about a possible power outage and the flowback that will follow...QUICKLY! You could use an in line check valve(s) to help prevent this, but they are mechanical. Nothing mechanical lasts forever. That's the reason I run bigger than need be sumps (and no check valves). On my 300, 38 gallons flow back (QUICKLY) on top of the 35 or so that's in there for the pumps, plus 17 gallons as added insurance for who knows what (peace of mind?). It's overkill but I've never had any water issues. That is one nice sturdy stand! Congratulations!:headbang2

Steveo McNello

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2010
SW Burbs of Chicago
Yeah thanks Scott I was thinking that. I dont know if I want to keep my dolphin or get 2 smaller submersible pumps. Itd probably be easier. Maybe?

And here are what the 4 returns look like if this will help everyone give me ideas. Im not sure what I want to do yet. Anybody know of any good designs from autocad or old threads?

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1351562272612.jpg

Steveo McNello

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2010
SW Burbs of Chicago
However I don't want to get rid of my dolphin 3900 at the same time. Total beast. Is 3900 gph, before head loss, overkill on a 300?

tazjack

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2010
Illinois
awww steve. I can take your pump off of your hands no problem;) ...also hurry up and get setup so you can buy my marble! haha I will be posting him soon for sale again in the buy and sell section. I agree with scott. I am using a 90gal for a 240 so I'm going to take the opportunity to fill it with lots of biomedia, and I'll have more volume of water for my tank and it should be able to handle full draining in case of a power outage if I gauge things right. BUT I also had it "around" so I didnt have to go out and buy one so that made a big difference (I probably would not have otherwise and went with the tote idea). I say go with what's most effective, and if you have the money, go with whats nice and convenient:) Keep me posted!

Steveo McNello

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2010
SW Burbs of Chicago
Wow a 90 on a 240. Not bad! I would love to use my stock tank, just not sure how to make that lid... : / or use my dolphin pump cause the walls arent straight so the plumbing wont be straight lol

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Steveo McNello

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2010
SW Burbs of Chicago
I hatched an idea today MFK...

Since the stock tanks walls are slightly angled, the bulkhead and plumbing would be slightly on an angle as well, meaning my pump wouldn't sit straight. HOWEVER, what if from the stock tank i had a short piece of pvc, then a barb fitting and clamped some pvc tubing to my pump a foot away which will be screwed down. The tubing would provide some flexibility.

I can make a lid for the stock tank out of 3/4" styro insulation, and put one of those 3 drawer storage units full of bio balls in it.

Aw yeah I think this is going to work.

So it would be water from tank into the top of the tower, down through filter pads and bio balls, then whatever else I want, out of the sump through a little tubing to the pump then into a manifold which all 4 of my returns will stem off.

tazjack

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2010
Illinois
I was just thinking pvc but in a different manner. a little bit of flex tubing could work too. Just make sure you secure it properly. I know what 2 inches of water on the floor feels like:) not good haha let me know if you need help, but I think you can make it work. even if you have to create little tabs to anchor or hold a top, you should have no problem. good luck

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store