Grafting Plants to Driftwood/Rocks

Chooka

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
As the title suggests, how do i go about this? Just tie it on with some fising line for a while and hope i takes?

I am trying to graft Anubis by the way!

Brett

amehel0

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
yeh fishimg line works(i hope) i am trying to attach java fern to driftwood and set it up a few days ago. how long does it usually take for java fern to attach

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Cotton thread is much more effective, and will deteriorate on it's own. Cut the roots back to about 1/2" long (not the rhizome) and this will encourage growth, which in around 1-2 weeks the plant should hold on.

Chooka

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Excellent, as i used the cotton but though i would have to change it, 2 weeks is pretty quick

Chooka

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
When should i remove the cotton?

How strong will the anubus be once it is attached?

ChrisGray

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2006
Michigan
the best way to tie any plant down to driftwood is to use a cotton based thread so that it will breakdown itself, but when it comes to rocks use should use something that wont break down in water becasue the smoothness of some rocks makes it almost impossible for moss to grab on to

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
I use a hot glue gun to attach plants to driftwood or rocks. You know, the small electric trigger guns with load with plastic glue sticks... Quick, simple and easy. A lot of aquatic nurseries use it too. Once you try it, you`ll never use anything else.

Dread

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2007
Happytown :)
As everyone else has suggested, cotton thread and just leave it on, don't worry about ever removing it. By the time it rots, the plant will be attached securly. If you ever go about attaching something like Riccia to slate or something, I suggest using a hairnet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store