Granulosa with a pot belly

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
May I ask where you sourced the catfish from Jim??quite fancy one myself
Maidenhead Mike. One local to me. Had a few then were left with this last one that I found in their sump! Knocked 20 quid off the price and I took him home.

aquaman45

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
England
Hi Jim,

Some good suggestions so far, Epsom salt can be a good treatment to use as it is for humans for constipation.
You could also use a treatment called Octozin by waterlife research here in the UK, the same company that produces the more familiar whitespot treatment Protozin and fluke treatement Sterazin.
Octozin is used for both Hole in the head and bloat which like already mentioned is generally an internal bacterial issue. I have found this treatment to be ineffective when used at the stated dose but have had a reasonable amount of success when dosed at 5 times the dose recommended.....yes you heard me right, 5 times. With scaleless catfish such your granulosus this this kind of dosage sounds crazy, generally with Catfish we would be more likely to add half the recommended dose. This treatment comes in tablet form so is easy to use, it will not upset the bio-filter either so you might want to give it a go.
Another reason could be an internal tumor in which case there is nothing can be done, its certainly worth persevering with the above first, stick him in a hospital tank with say a plastic pipe for cover and bare bottom tank, that way you can keep it clinical plus you will see if he/she has passed anything during treatment, I would have thought you could probably use both Epsom salt and Octozin in conjunction with one another.
Tweak the temp up a little also, say 28 deg C, this often helps to alleviate blockages in the digestive tract.

Good luck

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Hi Richard
Thanks for replying. I will certainly give this a go. I am going away for a couple of weeks so don't have the time to do it right now and no one to carry on the treatment whilst I am away. When I return I have a hospital tank I can set up and will try this suggestion. For now I have been feeding peas with the shell off. The granny seems to really enjoy these and I have not seen it eat this well since I have had it. Really hope he can last another few weeks. Had him around 3 or 4 months and has pretty well looked like this since I've had him so hopefully can last a while longer.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Any progress with him Jim? If you're back that is!
Hi Mike

Back from hols now!
Fish is looking a little less plump but still not sure about him? Feeds angrily on peas with shell removed which I think has helped.
Just come back to this thread now to read up again on Richard's advice as I am going to get the fish into a hospital tank this week and treat him.
Will keep you posted mate.

MHDevelopments

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Suffolk
www.m-h-developments.co.uk
Hi Mike

Back from hols now!
Fish is looking a little less plump but still not sure about him? Feeds angrily on peas with shell removed which I think has helped.
Just come back to this thread now to read up again on Richard's advice as I am going to get the fish into a hospital tank this week and treat him.
Will keep you posted mate.
Good luck with the treatment and quarantine tank Jim, I hope you can improve the bloat mate.

Reactions: jim barry

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
He seems to be doing ok but not eating. Going to do the treatment again then back to the small pup tank. Belly looks smaller for sure but not sure if that is just because its not eating. Seems happy enough for now though so fingers crossed Mike!

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Hi all
For those who read this thread a while back, a quick update.
I treated as Richard suggested with Octazin but with the standard dose. I then treated again at double dose. The fish looks a lot better, no pot belly, but still looks like he swims with his back end raised a little. However he is very settled in his hospital tank and eating better then he ever has. Very difficult to get pics as he is in a makeshift container box, but happy, so I'm happy!
Thanks for the advice Richard, you are a star as always!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store