Gravel in sand

Mugsyc

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2015
So a wile back i had small gravel in my tank, i switched to sand but was lazy and didnt take out the grvel first.
So was wondering what the best or easiest way to remove the gravel now? Its cheap blue Gravel and i hate it.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So a wile back i had small gravel in my tank, i switched to sand but was lazy and didnt take out the grvel first.
So was wondering what the best or easiest way to remove the gravel now? Its cheap blue Gravel and i hate it.

Maybe a cat litter scoop will work.

mattison187

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2007
vermont
I would kill your filters and probably remove the fish for a bit while doing this. Looking at quite a mess

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Or an old colander. Really anything that has small enough holes for the sand to go through but not the rock.
Hello; This should work. Good idea. Might be that the gravel/sand is now wet. I have sifted dry sand to remove fine stuff and wind up with larger size particles from construction sand.
I guess with a garden hose the finer sand can be washed thru. Might be hard to save the sand unless several buckets are used.
I always have used very cheap construction sand so never felt bad about discarding it. If the OP's sand is costly it might be worth the effort to try to save it.

Reactions: tlindsey

FishBeast

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2016
Northwest Washington
www.youtube.com
Get a long tube with large enough diameter to suction all the substrate. Start a siphon and discharge the output outside into a tub or bucket that has a strainer or screen with the right size mesh to separate the gravel out. Sand goes into the tub or bucket, discard strained gravel. Dump sand back into the tank.

Reactions: Swoll929

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
You say you have very small gravel. Technically, very course sand and very fine gravel can both be 2 mm in size, so in that case, a sieve won't work and you may have to hand separate them. Are they the same size?

Assuming they are very different in size (e.g., medium gravel to medium sand), you just need to find an appropriate sieve. Colanders don't all have the same size holes (they range from small to large), so you'll have to work out which one is best for you.

You may even find that a kitchen strainer will work out better since it has smaller holes and can fit inside a tank much easier than a standard colander.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/st...chen-tools-gadgets/colanders-strainers/12106/

Last edited:

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
If it’s play sand or pool filter sand and under 100# I wouldn’t waste my time separating the 2, just toss it all and call it a lesson learned.

Mugsyc

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2015
Ok well thanks to everyone. Looks like im going to toss all the old and get new sand. Its pool filtersand so 10$ for 50lbs.

Reactions: bbortko
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store