Gravel to Sand...suggestion

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Mile High in Northern AZ, baby!~
The sand ought to keep any debris from reaching the floss. and you'll find that plant don't do too well in sand...they need florite or something that size...If it were me I'd remove the floss, it just waiting to get dirty and no way to clean it, and it's not getting any circulating water...it's cushioning capabilitys are slightly more than none. IMO

JayK1320

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Boston, MA
zennzzo;1914641; said:
The sand ought to keep any debris from reaching the floss. and you'll find that plant don't do too well in sand...they need florite or something that size...If it were me I'd remove the floss, it just waiting to get dirty and no way to clean it, and it's not getting any circulating water...it's cushioning capabilitys are slightly more than none. IMO
What is florite? So if the plants dont do well in sand, do I have any other options? I really want to go to some live plants at some point, how would I go about this? would I do better to put a layer or gravel down then sand on top of it?

Tommydeal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2008
Dracut, MA
With the sand you have now, it will be very hard to grow most plants. Flourite does make a sand substrate for plants though. Here are some products to choose from for planted tanks: Flourite. Depending on the plants you intend to keep you will need a plant subtrate like Flourite, powerful lights and maybe even C02 injection. I have one tank with a lot of Java Fern and Anubias, neither of wich requires a substrate, powerful lighting or C02.

JayK1320

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Boston, MA
Tommydeal;1917573; said:
With the sand you have now, it will be very hard to grow most plants. Flourite does make a sand substrate for plants though. Here are some products to choose from for planted tanks: Flourite. Depending on the plants you intend to keep you will need a plant subtrate like Flourite, powerful lights and maybe even C02 injection. I have one tank with a lot of Java Fern and Anubias, neither of wich requires a substrate, powerful lighting or C02.
I like both of those plants, I think either would work. I googled them both and it said Java Fern you actually attach to rocks, how do you do this? String or something? and then the roots attach themselves eventually once they get going? What about the Anubias? I saw nothing on how to get it going, but it said it can produce under water flowers, that would be very cool. So based off the description of the Java Fern I saw, I could almost attach it to anything, rock, clay pot, and it will attach it self. I also really like that they do not require extensive light or CO2. These would be my first plants ever so I want to start out simple...

Thanks for all the help Tommydeal, I really appreciate it!

Tommydeal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2008
Dracut, MA
I like both of those plants, I think either would work. I googled them both and it said Java Fern you actually attach to rocks, how do you do this? String or something? and then the roots attach themselves eventually once they get going?

Exactly! You can use black thread or yarn and it deteriorates over time so you don't have to worry about removing it.

What about the Anubias? I saw nothing on how to get it going, but it said it can produce under water flowers, that would be very cool.

Same as the Fern. The only difference is that the roots of the Anubias plant must be exposed as opposed to the Fern which does well mounted or planted in a substrate. Not a concern though if you're mounting them anyway.

So based off the description of the Java Fern I saw, I could almost attach it to anything, rock, clay pot, and it will attach it self. I also really like that they do not require extensive light or CO2. These would be my first plants ever so I want to start out simple...

I've had those plants in a tank without substrate, extra lighting or C02 and they're doing great. I do add some fertilizer every now and then (Seachem Flourish).

Thanks for all the help Tommydeal, I really appreciate it!

My Pleasure! I've gotten so much great advice from members here it's nice to be able to reciprocate. Let us know how it goes.

JayK1320

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Boston, MA
Best places to buy these plants? It will have to be a slow process, start out real small. I dont want to invest a lot of money to have it not work. If I get a few and they work out I will add more. Since the Anubias is semi-aquatic can you buy it at most places selling plants? Java Fern I am betting I can only get at LFS or Petco/Petsmart...

I really dont want to pay shipping for all of it unless I can get it for real cheap compared to what I could buy it for out here...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store