Great Barracuda in Fresh?

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
I know people that have tried to acclimate great barracuda and giant trevallys(ulua) to fresh water, no long term success. They definitely need marine/brackish to thrive.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Sea turtles, blue arowana, freshwater barracuda. Is this in China too?
LOL!
I know people that have tried to acclimate great barracuda and giant trevallys(ulua) to fresh water, no long term success. They definitely need marine/brackish to thrive.
I don't get why some people like to try and keep certain fish in water that is not best for them...bragging rights I guess.

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
Yeah, there are so many cool fish that can fit that niche, why do that to a fish that is not designed to live in those conditions. Makes no sense to me either.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Especially when it is easy enough to set up and maintain a saltwater tank....now,dealing with the potential size and space requirements of a barracuda is another matter entirely.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
I know my buddy Ray at amazing fish brought in a great barracuda caught in brackish water but yes, many young fully marine fish can tolerate brackish water because they spend a lot of time in mangroves and estuaries but this is only young fish. Adults WILL require a fully marine setup. At what age though? I don't know

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Lambrakopoulos

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2009
USA
As usual oddball is correct, but I will add this. They can tolerate brackish and even water with a lesser salinity. But brackish seems to be very stable, I've experimented with them. Putting them in the same tank as snook, mangrove snapper, archer fish, and datnoids. Went well, till the cuda started getting a bit fin nippy with the archers. Just taking chunks out of their fins. Cuda was put in the tank at around 5" took him out at 14" like 5-6 months later. Not very picky with food either. Great fish to own with proper and adequate tank space. Lucky for me all I had to do was cast out and reel him in to get him in my tank. Florida has cuda everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store