Great deal on Fluval FX6 at Petsmart

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
The major complaint heard about FX filters is impeller damage. With the pump on the bottom sand can get sucked in the motor. You can have sand in a filter even with a bare bottom tank. Part of the process of waste breaking down leaves minerals that form into little clumps. You can't have that problem with the pump on top. Where it belongs.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I wonder then,with all the money spent on research and development on a product,before it arrives at the stores why the company would go ahead and place the pump where it doesn't belong.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Very good question, Krich! All of the smaller filters Fluval makes have it on top. Eheim has it on top. You don't see threads about Eheim classics failing. You see them about FX. I have had the impeller on my FX5 get stuck after cleaning. I own 2 2262 that have not had it happen. Sand never gets to the pump. Not possible.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I remember when you first raised this point a while back and I've been paying more attention to the design of different canisters as a result.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I ended up getting in on this deal too. $211 after tax, can't beat it. I have the fx5 along with the eheim 2217 and I prefer the fx5. It's all just preference so to each is own. I do like that the fx6 came with media and some pads this time though
Apples and oranges. Compare the fx6/fx5 to the 2262. Those are comparable models.

kiep

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
chicago, il
I don't see there is a change in fx series. Unless they come up with a really good explanation, it's the last thing they do is admit a design flaw.

Sent from my SM-G900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I don't see there is a change in fx series. Unless they come up with a really good explanation, it's the last thing they do is admit a design flaw.

Sent from my SM-G900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
It is enough cheaper than the better option, (Eheim) that they won't change it as long as they sell as many as they do. I could see them adding a bigger model and making it more like their smaller filters. If they did that, I would buy it. Until that happens I will just buy the 2262. I run 2 406's or older models and they have done a good job for years.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store