Green dwarf pike cichlid comparability

0wen_96

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2020
Wallingford, PA
Just got 2 green dwarf pike cichlids for my 75 gallon after a massive die off. Is there any fish compatible with these lil dudes? My tank has a pretty high flow rate (fx6 w/ spray bar spraying lengthwise) and the center of the tank is covered with plants + driftwood. Either side is pretty open with sand substrate but i do have a clay pot in a corner with the opening half covered with a slab of stone.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Just got 2 green dwarf pike cichlids for my 75 gallon after a massive die off. Is there any fish compatible with these lil dudes? My tank has a pretty high flow rate (fx6 w/ spray bar spraying lengthwise) and the center of the tank is covered with plants + driftwood. Either side is pretty open with sand substrate but i do have a clay pot in a corner with the opening half covered with a slab of stone.
Possibly a group of deep body tetras.

0wen_96

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2020
Wallingford, PA
Do you know what would be some good options? I wanna keep it around the same area (at least the same continent yk) and Ive already tried flame tetras, beunos aires tetras, and columbian tetras so i kinda want something new.

Reactions: tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I find any deep bodied species of fish are good tank mates for pike cichlids.
If the fish are tall, the pikes ignore them, as they are to high to be prey
The dither or target species you choose just needs to coincide with size your pikes will eventually get, and water parameters your pikes need.
1709636806400.png
Both species above, the pike and Guianacara, being from the equatorial area of Amazonia, appreciated soft, low pH, and warm water parameters.

In the tank below (a Uuguayan community), the pike and others from the temperate area far south of Amazonia, are species that tolerate a wider range of parameters, and water temps
1709637173024.png

Tetras that would work, (as moneioned above) would also need to be more high bodied and large enough species.
There are hundreds from South America, just avoid the longer, more cylindrical, minnow types if you don;t want them to become expensive feeder fish.
IMG_2221.jpegIMG_2234.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store