Green on sides of tank?

Rkd_x

Feeder Fish
Oct 12, 2016
I have noticed a build up of a thin layer of what I think might be algae on the sides of my fishtank? It looks dirty and clumpy and I really don't know what it is.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have noticed a build up of a thin layer of what I think might be algae on the sides of my fishtank? It looks dirty and clumpy and I really don't know what it is.
If possible post a pic, btw it sounds like algae. How long do you keep the lights on, also is aquarium near window. Algae also thrives on excessive nutrients in the aquarium water.

Reactions: kno4te

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
My guess is algae as well, mine builds up on the sides of tank too. I just scrubb it off when I water change so it maintains clean

Reactions: tlindsey

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Like the other guys have mentioned. Scrub off. Water changes to get rid of it. Lights on a minimum. Keep a shade on windows. Also clean up any left over food. Uv light will reduce some.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Scrubbing algae is just part of normal maintenance, all aquarists deal with it.
You can reduce its growth with water changes, and keeping lights off when your not there. But even then, there are species that grow in low nutrient water, and species the grow in low light. Some species are green, some brown, some red. Some help keep certain pollutants down in your tanks, and are a positive thing.
Had a text book in my microbiology classeson just the species of algae in the great lakes, there are hundreds of species of algae in each lake alone.

knobhill

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
IN A PLACE
Post a pic of the tank in the room its in, test your water and report back in.

Sometimes it's water quality, or tak placement or a combo of both. A uv sterilizer is never a bad idea.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; As others have posted the green layer is almost surely algae of some sort. There is a very pesky sort which forms a layer that can be peeled away in sheets. I believe this is sometimes called cyanobacteria and is a form of an algae and a bacterium growing together. ( May be a form of mutualism) At any rate if the stuff forms sheets on the glass and other things in a tank, this may be what you have. More on this stuff later if it is what you have.

The other forms of algae are not so bothersome. They make a layer that can be scraped off the glass with a razor scraper or a magnet scraper. These algae types do not come off in sheets and usually are not a problem.

If you do not grow live plants then some control can be had with reduced light use. If you like live plants, as I do, this type of control can be less effective.

I have been fighting the sheet type algae for a while with some success of late in my live plant tanks. At least I have slowed it down with no outbreaks for a while.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store