Green Terror

JohnLor715

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2009
Just got my first green terror today. Was looking online to find the average growth rate of a green terror, but couldn't find anything helpfull. Anybody who has past experience with green terror, give me a guess on their growth rate?

FSM

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2008
Georgia
It varies a lot. Mine is about 7-8" and over a year old; other people say theirs have grown much faster. 1/2" per month would be reasonable.

Feed it a lot, change water a lot (I think I may do too little of the first but enough of the second)

fish_n_vw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2008
Tacoma Wa.
They seem to go through spurts of growth. There slow when setteling in to a new tank but it picks up a bit(still not really fast) untill about 4 inches. I have kept and bred green terrors for years now and it seems to be hard to put a growth scale on the fish. As it was mentioned they do grow slowly. But I have had a few that got pretty big quikly. Just feed a varied diet, provide plenty of space and do your water changes. But you can't have oscar expectations for them. Its all worth it though they are a real joy to keep.

dsandford

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2008
BC, Canada
I bought two GTs about a month ago, a male and a female, when they were both about 2 inches long. The male has grown much faster than I have read and he is about 3-3.5 inches, and the female is about 2.5. The female might be growing slower because the male was terrorizing her and would hog all of the food, but they are now separated so I will see what happens.

cichlid2006

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2008
Fife - Scotland
a few factors determine how quick, such as:

diet
water change schedule
genetics
tankmates

three you can fix but genetics is probably out of your league. i managed an inch a month until he hit about 6.5" but then his growth got so slow it seemed to stop.
a few others here have mentioned on other threads that theirs was a decent grower until about 6" but it seems the general rule is they grow quite slow.

MBilyeu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2009
Tacoma, WA
I have had my GT for over 6 months and it has grown from 2" to about 3.5". So from my experience it could possible take multiple years for them to get to a decent size.

TangoWRX

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2009
Jersey UK
I don't find mine slow at all, one of the faster growers imo. Here are two pics of mine with dates:

08/09/09

10/25/09

So in about 2 and a half months he has grown a lot and you can see his nuchal hump comming on well.

I have read a few time that they are prone to worms when young which can slow growth. His tank was treated for internal paracites not long after I got him so who know....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store