Green Terrors

topoftheline77

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2006
Germantown, Wisconsin, USA
Are there any big names out there who breed Green Terrors? Similar to Mr. Firemouth does with firemouths. I would love to just read anything by the topshot of GT's. So does anybody have a name that popped into their heads?

Thanks,
Mike

GrantA94

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2011
cumbria
I don't know of anyone who fits your description :). But I know myself and a few other members have bred GS's so between us I'm sure we can answer any questions. A friend of mine (Mr. Rain Cloud) currently has fry with his GS pair, his thread is titled 'peruvian biotope(help)' might be worth a look.

Short answer, there is no single person I know of who is the master if GS's. But if you have any questions I'm sure they wont go unaswered, not with all the people on here who breed and keep them :D

topoftheline77

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2006
Germantown, Wisconsin, USA
That's for the response. I was more asking because I have a plan starting to form in my head...

Ideally this is how things would work out. I'm going to get a 55 gallon, get like 4-6 GT's and grow them out until I can determine the best looking male. Then I would get rid of the others (either sell them or give them away). Then I would grow that male out until he's just a show stopper. After he grows close to max I would get a 75 gallon and get that man a mate. Breed them for a while and sell the off spring. I would use my 55 to grow out the fry, keep a couple until I can tell if I have any lookers then sell the rest. I could start a breeding project of these fish. I feel like it could be a very rewarding pass time. This is especially exciting for me because I feel like GT's have a poop load of different traits that people desire so I could get some with huge humps, long fins, very green sides, huge orange stripes etc..

My questions are 1.) where would be a good place to get high quality specimens? Preferably an online source. 2.) For those of you who have breed fish before, what are some techniques for getting rid of unwanted fry? 3.) Could I add a smaller cichlid in the early stage (i.e. a convict) that can hold it's own and possibly cause my male to get a bigger hump on his head? or is it not worth it?

Mike

flowerpower

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2007
NY
Sounds like a fun project! GTs are awesome to keep and breed!
The only thing I'd do different would be to get the 75 first, acquire 2 unrelated groups at around the same time and grow each in their own tank, then pick the nicest male. Once you've got your male, keep all of the unrelated (to the male)females you've got and let a pair(or harem) form naturally.
They breed frequently so I'd invest in a few 20longs and a bunch of net breeders. If you find (or become) a breeder specializing in quality gts, don't keep it a secret. I consider this species to be one of the few that can remain relevant despite their enormous popularity. Kinda like festae in that regard. Both come from roughly the same areas too.
Gl and keep us posted.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store