Green water

truman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2005
hah, mum has a habbit of letting the tank soak up sunlight "all living things need sun" so she says.

I need to tell her that fish don't photosynthesize.

For now I'm changing roughly 10% out a day and adding biolocial activity to help break down all compunds that are floating around.

It has cleared somewhat, but its just slightly hazey when you look at it.

What other super fine filter material can i get?

Terricloth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2005
Living things do like light even if they don't photosynthisize...they can make vitmin D (or is is B) from the light....Don't use any algae killers, it's a bad habbit...like adding oil to a car constantly to avoid fixing a leak. If all your paramaters are set and the algae bloom is just sunlight related, Vortex Diatom is the way to go.

truman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2005
I agree that fish and all living things need sunlight in relative doses for health, but i do not think we can assume that fish physiology is the same as ours when it comes to vitamin manufacture.

anyway, I've started to use nutrafin cycle/made by hagen. Seems I didn't cycle the tank properly at set up.

After only 48hrs of cycle, tank showes marked improvement in clarity and fish are eating like pigs as they should.

peaches

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2005
Hi Everybody!

Just wanted to note that I have a 30 gallon tank that use to be pea soup green all the time..... You couldn't even see the fish, the light was left off, algecides (spell?) were tried, but nothing helped. It was green for weeks on end.
Until I went on a consistant schedual of 50% water changes every single day ---- the tank was completely clear in 4 days and the algae never came back.

;) just wanted to pass that on......

truman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2005
lol

50% changes for a 30 gal is pretty okay

50% changes of my 155 gal is quite different...

truman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2005
bills bills bills

:) they charge us for every few gallons of water here in singpaore. So most aquarists invest in the largest filter system avaliable to reduce the amount needed per change.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store