greyish stuff on sand

Richard203

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2016
most of those grey stuff is on the left side, but some on the right side. so I just have to stir them everytime and it will be gone by itself? what cause this? since I just started having this last week. I feed it shrimp or frozen bloodworms and some crashed pullet for the guppy

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
As i mentioned before, its caused by gas build up underneath the surface from bacteria... which doesnt happen instantly, and not always all over the tank, just the infected areas...

That in turn could be caused by deitrus, leftover food, fish poo etc, then it settles below the surface and starts forming gas pockets etc...

Which is why anyone that has a sand substrate layer or otherwise should stir their substrate during every water change...

Reactions: pescado209

Richard203

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2016
so do I need to use a stick to stir the bottom of the sand? or just stir the surface of the sand? cause I never got this problem before. first time experiencing this sorry.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Whatever works for and gets the job done honestly...

I have a scraper tool that has an interchange attachment (that looks a bit like a minature leaf rake) i use to stir my sand substrate with, but you could use anything from a wooden spoon or your hands as long as it gets the job done ;)

To answer your other question, yes its best to stir to the bottom layer of the sand to keep the substate turned over so to speak and release any gas pocket buildup before it gets large enough to actually cause problems such as what you’re seeing now...

Reactions: Bonytang

Bonytang

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2018
this happened in my planted tank after adding aquarium salt.. dissolving salinity resembled gas / mirage along the substrate caused by algae build up. lasted for weeks though.. threw in a tiny nano internal filter for like 5g or 10g tank cleared it up in 24 hr + still running it now.. before added it was just too much water change + chemicals that didn't do anything except make water decrepit

Richard203

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2016
so after 2 month its time to clean my filter and I saw that the black spot was in my filter pads too. is this some kinda black algae?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store