grounding aquariums

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
may have done. depends on the meaning. lol. you mean electrically, or ground it up or put it on the ground?

Loubard

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 17, 2005
EU
If electrical equipment fails in some way, it may leak low voltage current in the water, the grounding leads it away so that you won't hurt yourself or your fish. I also have a indicater light wich burns if there's current leaking, so I can check wich equipment is failing and replace it.

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
You stick a probe in the water, then what? Where do you put the other end of the probe?
It has a plug on the other end. It will only work if the house ( or whatever building) is grounded properly.

TankBuster

" I feel violated "
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Glendora, Ca
100% true, a gfci/ground fault circuit interrupt and a grounding probe will be totally useless if the house is not wired for grounding properly. Take a volt meter and place it in your tank, if it shows any readings, try unplugging your electrical equiptment one by one until the reading drops to nearly zero, then you have your solution. I have found that there will be soome volyage still in the water even without any equiptment in the tank. very very low readings though. And the famous harbour freight has the volt meters for like $4.50.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store