Growing Asians Out Together

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Still not sure how I keep coming across these tanks. I understand the numbers play a role, as well as the fact that they were probably all grown out together. The owner is in the same province as me. Perhaps we need to have a chat.

[video=youtube;uAIlsafyLvk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAIlsafyLvk&feature=player_embedded[/video]
I had 9 x 16" aros 7 x blue base xback and 2 x red and they was still fighting they was in a 7ft long 32" wide x 28" deep
With aro comm it's how brave you are and how much fighting you can handle

http://youtu.be/AFBdhREr-w8

I then thought I had a pair red and xback as they pushed the other7 into a corner not letting them move

I think a comm may work better in a very deep tank 3ft tall or deeper this will allow the aros to swim at different levels and get out of each other's way

This pair worked for about 6 months then the red beat up the xback bad

http://youtu.be/sgUAfGfBnZg

I kept the red in the end as I needed a 3ft fish rather than a smaller 2ft fish for the 1000 gal

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1387664260.243118.jpg

I'm happy with what I kept

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Albertan

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2007
Alberta, CANADA
Thanks for the info. I've settled on a single gold base FHXB. I'm just waiting to find the best specimen I can obtain in the next few weeks. In the end, I think I'll stock the 8X2X2 with the single aro, 6-8 wide bar SDs, and the 8 7" clown loaches I recently acquired.

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
Sounds like a nice plan! Good luck in your search.

As a tip i'd recommend getting all tankmates while the aro is still young. In my experience when the Aro hit's ~14" the territorial nature starts to show and it becomes very difficult to introduce new tank mates without them being attacked &/or killed.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Sounds like a nice plan! Good luck in your search.

As a tip i'd recommend getting all tankmates while the aro is still young. In my experience when the Aro hit's ~14" the territorial nature starts to show and it becomes very difficult to introduce new tank mates without them being attacked &/or killed.
I have never had a problem mixing any of my aros with other tank mates

Clown loach and silver $$$ with be fine

I take it that it will be a small aro they say they are 6-8" but they are normally around the 4-5" mark when first imported

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
I have never had a problem mixing any of my aros with other tank mates

Clown loach and silver $$$ with be fine

I take it that it will be a small aro they say they are 6-8" but they are normally around the 4-5" mark when first imported

just curious how big/old is the arowana now ?

I had no problems at all until my RTG hit about 14" (he's in a 240g), at that point he became much more aggressive, killing an oscar, gar and a couple large sharks he had been raised with.

Basically turned mean toward anything that wasn't a bottom dweller, the exception was my Dat. But even then he's just as nasty to the dat, the dat's just equally tough and faster so it works lol.

Since that point he's only gotten worse, killing almost anything i try to introduce within days. I at one point tried introducing a school of 6 Red Hooks silver dollars, thinning dithers would help. They were 5" ish, and the aro killed 3 the first day, actually ate 2 of them, snapped them in half to swallow them. Endlies did the same to 2 others (first time i've seen them death roll lol) and my big ornate got the 6th. Hence my suggestion to start them small. I've tried several other species and only new bichirs have been added successfully, and even then the aro will often chase them back down then they come up for air.

From what i've seen , the older the Asians get the more territorial they become, so whenever someone has a mix i ask how hold the fish is, and it seems more often then not the successful ones are smaller/younger fish, while people who have bigger adults all eventually see the mean side of them. Not always the case like any fish there are individuals who will be more or less aggressive but more often then not they turn mean with age. I also find once they get a taste for being alone or the dominate fish it makes things worse and that tanks size/length seems to help as well of course, more space allows for less territorial conflict

Eddie_87

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2013
Malaysia

I had no problems at all until my RTG hit about 14" (he's in a 240g), at that point he became much more aggressive, killing an oscar, gar and a couple large sharks he had been raised with.

Basically turned mean toward anything that wasn't a bottom dweller, the exception was my Dat. But even then he's just as nasty to the dat, the dat's just equally tough and faster so it works lol.

Since that point he's only gotten worse, killing almost anything i try to introduce within days. I at one point tried introducing a school of 6 Red Hooks silver dollars, thinning dithers would help. They were 5" ish, and the aro killed 3 the first day, actually ate 2 of them, snapped them in half to swallow them. Endlies did the same to 2 others (first time i've seen them death roll lol) and my big ornate got the 6th. Hence my suggestion to start them small. I've tried several other species and only new bichirs have been added successfully, and even then the aro will often chase them back down then they come up for air.

From what i've seen , the older the Asians get the more territorial they become, so whenever someone has a mix i ask how hold the fish is, and it seems more often then not the successful ones are smaller/younger fish, while people who have bigger adults all eventually see the mean side of them. Not always the case like any fish there are individuals who will be more or less aggressive but more often then not they turn mean with age. I also find once they get a taste for being alone or the dominate fish it makes things worse and that tanks size/length seems to help as well of course, more space allows for less territorial conflict
This is a very useful piece of information, -DC-! Thanks! I'll keep this in mind..

Albertan

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2007
Alberta, CANADA
Good info indeed. The aro I get will be less than a foot I am quite sure...it may be a little bigger than typical to confirm the quality I am looking for. I know from my jardini how lethal arowana can be. As long as the loaches are left alone, all is good. I'm planning to bump the 240 to a 450 (8X3X2.5) in around a years time. I hope I don't need to devote an entire 450g tank to a single fish, but time will tell. Two Asian aros are off the table for me.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK

My red is 7 years old and 28" never had a problem

I have had over 25 Asian aro a mix of red and gold never had a problem with any of them

Aros a gar don't get along long term

Asian aro and Oscar nah not a mix I have tried or wanted to try

What I have found is if you have driftwood or hiding places when the aro can see the tank mates 24/7 he will attack sometimes when the pop there heads out

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
My red is 7 years old and 28" never had a problem
I have had over 25 Asian aro a mix of red and gold never had a problem with any of them
Aros a gar don't get along long term
Asian aro and Oscar nah not a mix I have tried or wanted to try
What I have found is if you have driftwood or hiding places when the aro can see the tank mates 24/7 he will attack sometimes when the pop there heads out
Your old guy is much better behaved then my RTG then !

justinSR7

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2014
Belfast,NI
Still not sure how I keep coming across these tanks. I understand the numbers play a role, as well as the fact that they were probably all grown out together. The owner is in the same province as me. Perhaps we need to have a chat.

[video=youtube;uAIlsafyLvk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAIlsafyLvk&feature=player_embedded[/video]
WOW!They look like the vehicles in a motorway....thanks for uploading!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store