Growth rates?

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
I'm not a ray keeper - and answers like this don't really help - In other words - if I asked if cichlids grow fast, I would immediately get an answer like this:

"Cichlids for the most part grow pretty fast." "They usually reach sexual maturity at 8 months to 2 years."

If each ray is so different from the next, then that info. should be in the sticky.

Also; if there are, as you say, many many posts on here with reference to growth rate, then all you would need to do is direct me to them through links, so I can educate myself further.

In addition; just because (X) doesn't get as big as the others, does not mean it's a better species to keep. Also; just because one gets bigger than the other, does not mean it grows faster than the other.

Do you work for google? ;)

Yes, the stickies give each ray's max size, but not much else.

You are overthinking my question. All I am asking is; do rays grow fast? Slow? And, does each ray have different water requirements? (Again, here is where the stickies fall short.)

We all would benefit from this information - for seasoned keepers, and newbies who are thinking about trying a ray.

daniel86

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2012
singapore
the water is requirement is stated in the sticky.
as for growth, here your ans, yes ray grow fast. not as fast as catfish but faster than pleco =)

yargnits

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
Leeds, UK.
I'm not a ray keeper - and answers like this don't really help - In other words - if I asked if cichlids grow fast, I would immediately get an answer like this:

"Cichlids for the most part grow pretty fast." "They usually reach sexual maturity at 8 months to 2 years."

If each ray is so different from the next, then that info. should be in the sticky.

Also; if there are, as you say, many many posts on here with reference to growth rate, then all you would need to do is direct me to them through links, so I can educate myself further.

In addition; just because (X) doesn't get as big as the others, does not mean it's a better species to keep. Also; just because one gets bigger than the other, does not mean it grows faster than the other.

Do you work for google? ;)

Yes, the stickies give each ray's max size, but not much else.

You are overthinking my question. All I am asking is; do rays grow fast? Slow? And, does each ray have different water requirements? (Again, here is where the stickies fall short.)

We all would benefit from this information - for seasoned keepers, and newbies who are thinking about trying a ray.

well i can only try and address your concerns one at a time :

thankyou for the information regarding growth rates of chlids. that is very helpful in a discussion regarding rays im sure.

"If each ray is so different from the next, then that info. should be in the sticky"
it is and they are. particularly regarding size regulation of the skickys is by the admin not the forum users to if you have a problem ask them directily.

"Also; if there are, as you say, many many posts on here with reference to growth rate, then all you would need to do is direct me to them through links, so I can educate myself further. "
at the time of posting i checked the last few pages and there were rellevent threads.
you just need to check a few pages if you want info or do a search as, im willing to bet you have suggested people do on the section of the forum that you frequent most.

"In addition; just because (X) doesn't get as big as the others, does not mean it's a better species to keep. Also; just because one gets bigger than the other, does not mean it grows faster than the other. "
no it doesnt. but because you are asking about the adult size means that people will wonder if you are able to house the animal as an adult rather than just keep it for a few months while it grows too big for your tank. it might not grow faster but as with all species it depends how much and what you feed it.
if your willing to under feed a ray it will grow slower. im sure thats a suprise to you.

my summary is that you shouldnt be keeping rays at the moment and you should research and take in information before you do .

good luck .

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Tank size water changes and food play a massive part

But I would say tank size is less important than food and water

I just got a male pearl at about 5" and put him in a small tank 30x15" this small tank was connected to my main tank so a massive water volume
The ray was fed twice per day 4-8 massivore pellets
He grew from 4-5" to 7-8" in about 2.5-3 months I have never seen this growth rate from small rays just fed on prawn blood worm or night crawlers

This isn't a one off I now have a female that's frowning at the same speed

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

stingray keeper

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2013
Canada
My pair of Henlei rays grew pretty quick imo. Female from 10" or so to about 16" in first year and male 9" or so to about 13". Thats 1/2" per month in disc width for my female. It depends greatly on food, water quality, stress level, tank size, sex, etc etc. Yes from species to species of FW ray the water quality preferences varies but for the most part its simple. Yargnits states the point that this has come up a lot in other threads. That is true. The stickies state info that i feel is controversial also but is still better than nothing. I agree with Yargnits on picking a type of ray that interests you and throwing a thread out there asking all experienced ray keepers with that particular species to chime in. Best of luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store