>:-( grrrrrrrr

Connor0729

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ontario, Canada
my little bro's heater busted once, the water was like 90 degrees. the friggen thing wouldn't turn off, so we would unplug it in the moring, and plug it in again when we got home from school:D. but we got a new one after a few days, of course;)

Ric Foster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2007
Sanbernardino CA.
Fish Eat Fish;1336593; said:
Anyone tried some sort of fail safe? Like a temp activated switch to kill the power to the heater? I know thats basically how the heater itself works but a back up couldnt hurt.
Good idea. Seems to me I seen a thermometer on eBay that had an audio alert siren or beeper on it when parameters got out. Try looking on reef related places for advise. I know reefs are very fragile and there is heaters and such that are very stable.

Sorry about your loss

cszachury

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2007
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Sorry for your loss. I am running a 180 with three smaller heaters, although I only use two of them. The third one is a back up for if the heater breaks, I set this heater temperature a couple degrees lower.
Also, for safety, I run an Aqua-Minder by Marina (product can be seen here... http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/testkits.php?product_ID=HT-HAMIND )
I keep this on at all times, it runs on two small round batteries, and for $20 that is cheap assurance that my fish will be safe. It even reminds you when you need to do water changes (I don't use that) and when to do tank matienence, very good digital thermometer. I highly recommend it. I have a ray in my tank so keeping a glass thermometer in my tank is not an option as he swims up the sides of my tank, and its not worth the risk if he breaks it!

--
One more note - That alarm can be set for a High and a Low temperature. For example. I keep my water at say,, 80. I would set my low alarm at 78. and high alarm at 82. And then this terribly annoying, loud piercing beep lets you know if your water exceeds either of those temperatures! Oh! Oh! AND it even takes temperature to a decimal point! *soo spoiled*!

"Very great thing to have in tank " :)

oii

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2007
Michigan
that sounds like a awesome idea but I have 5 tanks, thats $100.. There has to be one that I can get and hook to multiple tanks for less.

oii

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2007
Michigan
cszachury;1336981; said:
Hey there! I was looking for a solution to the multiple tanks! Check this out! http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/testkits.php?product_ID=pp-wtherm
niiiiiiiice find, thank you so much for this. I'll definitley look into getting at least one of these when I have the $ to spare.

I just realized that it comes with 1 sensor if any and the other ones cost $21 a piece. What a waste.. I might as well buy 4 of the first one you posted and save myself some money.

cszachury

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2007
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
My bad, didnt read it fully. Got excited when it mentioned multiple sensors:nilly:

That is definitly a waste, I'd rather get individual ones for that price. geez. :screwy: Doesnt make much sense.

Carny_4_Life

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2007
Alabama
so sorry for your loss i had my fish tank do that
the heater buste and the glass was so hot it warmed my hands to touch it
the heater went out when i was at school and when i got home my granny's cousin said my fish were acting funny.they were at the top gasping for air
all died except 1 black mollie.
good rule is to keep 2 or 3 small heaters that wouldn't heat the tank all by themselves(ex 2 15 gallon heaters for a 20 gallon)
again sorry for your loss bro

oii

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2007
Michigan
The heater I had in this tank before blew up while I was doing a WC. I told my girlfriend to unplug it and I guess she didn't hear me.. It sucked there was glass all over my tank, it took me forever to get all of it out.

from now on I'm sticking with ebo jagers, they're cheaper than the crappy heaters anyways if you order them from the right places.

Wolf3101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
Arizona
Check with petco when ever possible...they change brands a lot and run close out prices on heaters. A gallon jar makes a really good heater test tank with a thurmal guessing stick stuck to the side. We always keep a VERY close watch on the temperiture and have extra heaters on hand just in case.

We have a relitivly new heater in the corner angelfish tank that just reciently stuck in the on possition and had to be replaced. Fortunatly we didn't lose anyone.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store