Guianacara owroewefi fin nipping

ahud

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
My experience is a bit different. It appears that the same male and female spawn together each time. The pair bond remains strong throughout the whole spawning ordeal. The pair is the largest male, and the largest female, so I am about 80% certain there is no mate swapping in my group. As usual, the male guards the perimeter and the female guards the eggs/fry. Once the fry go free swimming the male participates a bit more. Fry care is quite good, and the female does have some control over the fry via signaling. My pair chooses a cichlid stone over any other spawning site offered.

I would let the female heal up. Provide several caves and line of sight breaks in her tank. And then introduce the male into her tank after the healing process has finished. You will just have to keep an eye on them after that point.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Interesting how things can be different in different situations.
ahud, sounds like you have a perfectly compatible pair.
When my pair spawned they were a really tight couple temporarily, but once the eggs were gone, she melded back into the group. Mine was the largest male too, but I couldn't tell the females apart.

ahud

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
I'll add another tidbit, let me know if I am derailing the thread.

Originally, the Guianacara were a good deal smaller than the L. thayeri that they share the tank with. The pair would have to work together to drive away the male thayeri, and as a result they would only claim roughly 24" of a 72" tank. Eventually, the male grew and can now drive the male thayeri off alone, and now the pair claims a little over half the tank! So I'm looking to add another fish that will put them back in place.

beerad555

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2009
Illinois
That is awesome , today I have moved her into a 25 gal to get her to heal , Iam hoping to get them to breed after she heals in the 25 gal and then grow them out so I can add more females to the 125 . Thanks for the pics ,I will send some pics also when I get a chance.
I'd pick up at least 2 or 3 females before I'd reunite them in the 125.
Mine have spawned at least once, but the extra female choices available helped focus the male on protecting the female and small territory, as opposed to beating on her.
They like cave like structures to spawn in, mine seem to like pieces of PVC.

There are eggs on the wood in the pic above, they are dark green, don't really show.

beerad555

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2009
Illinois
They are awesome fish and I would hate to lose her,I have no doubt I can get her to heal up, but any info on how to breed would be greatly appreciated.

beerad555

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2009
Illinois
how will I know if they have spawned, or how long should it take after I re introduce the male before they spawn?

ahud

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
If they have spawned it will be obvious. The pair will guard the spawning area (usually a cave). If it were me, I'd siphon off some of the fry once they get to the wriggler stage to insure you have some to grow out. Be aware, in my experience they are super slow growers.

There is no way to put a time frame on it. Frequent water changes will undoubtedly help, but I don't think Guianacara in general are the most fecund fish. Another important thing will be water conditions, do you know your pH, gH and kH?

beerad555

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2009
Illinois
If they have spawned it will be obvious. The pair will guard the spawning area (usually a cave). If it were me, I'd siphon off some of the fry once they get to the wriggler stage to insure you have some to grow out. Be aware, in my experience they are super slow growers.

There is no way to put a time frame on it. Frequent water changes will undoubtedly help, but I don't think Guianacara in general are the most fecund fish. Another important thing will be water conditions, do you know your pH, gH and kH?
I just check with strips ,and everything is checking out with flying colors. currently I am doing once a week 50 percent w/c and using salt to help heal her fins that he beat up .

beerad555

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2009
Illinois
here is a few pics of my male and one of my female hiding out healing up.
I'd pick up at least 2 or 3 females before I'd reunite them in the 125.
Mine have spawned at least once, but the extra female choices available helped focus the male on protecting the female and small territory, as opposed to beating on her.
They like cave like structures to spawn in, mine seem to like pieces of PVC.

There are eggs on the wood in the pic above, they are dark green, don't really show.
IMG_0751.JPG

IMG_0753.JPG

IMG_0754.JPG

IMG_0773.JPG

baxter88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2010
bucks Pa
Good Old Mar 2 works real good on Infects Injuries> They ABSOLUTELY need Sand ?> Im cautious in using sand > It becomes compacted & Develops Hydrogen Sulphide> Toxic> But Im Guessing that they stir the sand so much that it doesn't compact ?> also Vacum & stir yourself? I like idea of a blend of sand with fine gravel .(Any Opinions?)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store