Guianacara owroewefi fin nipping

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Can't comment on guianacara in pairs, but there are some geos you can keep in pairs. My guianacara group (supposed to be sphenozona) is six. Couple months ago my big male and another female formed a pair in this manner: There was total chaos for maybe 20 minutes while the females fought it out chasing the largest male around (I suspect I have two males, but one is definite, the other suspected male kept a relatively low profile during all this ruckus). Then the 'winner' female did her determined best to kick butt on the big male. After he stood up to her onslaughts for probably another 20-30 minutes, they started acting like a pair, running off the others, etc. Since then they've spawned several times in different spots, last time was just a few days ago on a vertical flat rock. I'm leaving them to their own devices for saving fry for now and just observing them when I get the chance.

I'm not seeing any fin nipping by the sphenozona (if that's what they are). They are (or try to be) a pretty bossy fish to tankmates (red head geos and wild scalare, they boss the red heads but the angels stand up to them) but no nipped fins. Can't say what the big male would do with just one female rather than a group.

Good Old Mar 2 works real good on Infects Injuries> They ABSOLUTELY need Sand ?> Im cautious in using sand > It becomes compacted & Develops Hydrogen Sulphide> Toxic> But Im Guessing that they stir the sand so much that it doesn't compact ?> also Vacum & stir yourself? I like idea of a blend of sand with fine gravel .(Any Opinions?)
They do like sand ime and have some interesting behavior with sand, little bit of leaf litter, etc. Hydrogen sulfide is realistically not much of a threat. You'd have to do a lot of things wrong, since it requires special conditions (which can happen in either sand or gravel), including a deep enough substrate with no disturbance, no oxygen, and no available nitrates for a long enough period of time.

I rarely find it necessary to do much with the sand in my tanks. I might level it back out occasionally in certain tanks after fish have moved it around to their liking rather than mine. Depending on tank, if I want to siphon it at all, it's hardly worth bothering more often than every couple of months if not longer. That's my tanks, someone else's tank might differ, but I was one to siphon all gravel every week in gravel tanks. Point is you'd have a hard time getting hydrogen sulfide in a couple of inches of sand, especially with sand moving fish, even if you didn't touch the sand for months.

There's more than one cycle in your tank, including a sulfur cycle, so some people might mistake a little sulfur smell for hydrogen sulfide, but it's normally harmless forms of sulfur. Article

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store