Guitarfish... in freshwater?

xenacanth9

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2021
So, I've come across a couple sources that claim that certain types of guitarfish have been known to occasionally appear in brackish, sometimes even freshwater habitats. The following sources all mention this somewhere if you look for it:
http://bransonswildworld.com/guitarfish/

Now, this makes some sense because there are quite a handful of euryhaline sharks and rays, however, I have yet to see any pictures or video of this. So, if anyone here happens to have any photographic evidence, I'd love to see it, just because this is very interesting to me.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I would think they just swim up there chasing a meal or possibly breeding. Probably not up there for long though.

Cowturtle

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2016
Cincinnati
Not super surprising sawfish are related and they can be found commonly in freshwater as well. If you're interested the aqualog freshwater ray book includes all species of sawfish, guitarfish and other ray species that can be found in freshwater.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Believe i saw some post on fb of guitar fish in freshwater tanks a while ago. Doubt it stayed there too long.

xenacanth9

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2021
Not super surprising sawfish are related and they can be found commonly in freshwater as well. If you're interested the aqualog freshwater ray book includes all species of sawfish, guitarfish and other ray species that can be found in freshwater.
Neat, I'll take a look

Reactions: Bbuckley
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store