gulper catfish with guppies the perfect tank mates?

candidpets

Candiru
MFK Member
May 24, 2015
Brampton
www.facebook.com
this is the most insane thing i have ever experienced in my life. I got a gulper catfish 3 inch. As i said before my red devil in a 100 gallon 6 foot long tank who was twice his size tried to move him out of his spot. He ended up swallowing the devil in seconds. Then he took out my gar in another tank.

I decided to give him his own tank. There was just guppies in it. Hes small the tank is 30 gallon square.

He started liven up a lot more. I put in in crayfish for him to eat. BBUT instead of eating these guys hes living with them peacefully.

The guppies are breeding like insane. I dont even think he has eaten 1. It makes no sense. He didnt eat my crayfish i was trying to feed him either.

I throw in a piece of octopus, or big chunk of fish the crayfish will grab it and he will just steal it from the cray fish and gulp it down.

so he will eat huge fish bigger than him but leave small ones alone? WTF He also is growing like insane but he doesnt really move other than swimming up the filter

i over filtered the small tank insane. I put a canister filter in it. He will gulp down a lot and then not eat a few days.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Cool cohabitation.

candidpets

Candiru
MFK Member
May 24, 2015
Brampton
www.facebook.com
yeah i have posted pictures of him after he ate my cichlid

i just dont get why he leaves the small guppies and crayfish alone? i am thinking of just putting him in my 100 with show guppies crayfish lol a community tank and keep feeding him my grocery store bought stuff like octopus shrimp and whole fish, like raw whole sardines non cooked. also whole smelt.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
All this actually sounds about right, except perhaps for the crayfish part but this may be that the crayfish is too unfamiliar of a prey to the gulper. If it got really hungry, I think it'd take out the crayfish and perhaps the guppies too.

Ignoring petty prey is not unusual with many predators, but far not all of them.

All in all, interesting observations. I appreciate these.

Could be relevant: http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/big-fishes-that-are-ok-with-small-fishes.670880/

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store