Gymnotus carapo compatibility with BGKF

EZ Waters

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2020
Nova Scotia
I'm wondering if anyone has experience keeping carapo and bgkf together? I know they both tend to be aggressive towards conspecifics and wondering if that would be the case for these two species kept together, since they're from different genus'? They're each currently growing out in different tanks and both around 8". Considering moving them both too a 180 eventually, but only if compatible of course.

Reactions: amazontank

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Think it could work if the bgk is bigger than the carapo. Just gotta have lots of decor and hideouts to allow each to stay away. Gotta see what happens when the lights go out.

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
I'm wondering if anyone has experience keeping carapo and bgkf together? I know they both tend to be aggressive towards conspecifics and wondering if that would be the case for these two species kept together, since they're from different genus'? They're each currently growing out in different tanks and both around 8". Considering moving them both too a 180 eventually, but only if compatible of course.
I wouldn't mix knives personally. You could try it and see if it works, but I would be really wary.

EZ Waters

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2020
Nova Scotia
Deffinitly going to fill the tank with hides if I try it. Good point about watching the tank at night.
That is what I'm concerned about. Until recently I thought the carapo was a zebra so wouldn't need such a large tank. Now thinking it's a carapo so need figure out a plan (and a plan b). Another option could be to keep in with jack Dempseys, albino bichirs, and a tire track eel... thoughts?

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
That is what I'm concerned about. Until recently I thought the carapo was a zebra so wouldn't need such a large tank. Now thinking it's a carapo so need figure out a plan (and a plan b). Another option could be to keep in with jack Dempseys, albino bichirs, and a tire track eel... thoughts?
Could work and try. Had a member a while ago with a carapo with other tankmates and it was fine. Seemed to work for a while but no long term updates.

amazontank

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2010
Miami and San Diego
www.Facebook.com
I found that Jack Dempsey or any predatory especially Bichir eventually will bite the tail of bgk or carapo.
Even told Josh about his giant ghost & bichir & eventually it did bite the tail.
Also both knives together always would fight at night in my experience.
I have success in keeping 3 or more bgk togther seems to even out there electric impulses and eases the fighting.
Good luck love to see some pics bgk are the best!

EZ Waters

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2020
Nova Scotia
I found that Jack Dempsey or any predatory especially Bichir eventually will bite the tail of bgk or carapo.
Even told Josh about his giant ghost & bichir & eventually it did bite the tail.
I have success in keeping 3 or more bgk togther seems to even out there electric impulses and eases the fighting.
Good to know. Best to avoid the jack Dempsey combo then. I think the carapo had some tail damage when I purchased it, but seems to be regrowing. If it comes down to it then, may have to move the Dempseys. Intriguing idea about multiple bgkf... but then bigger risk i suppose if it doesn't work. They're one of my favorite fish, always going to have a space for them in the fish room. I'll post some pics sometime. They're still fairly small now.

Reactions: amazontank

EZ Waters

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2020
Nova Scotia
After comparing my carapo to some more internet pictures, it looks like it's tail may have alread been bitten off (pre purchasing). It's only the back end of the pectoral fin that's regrowing up to where it's "tail" now ends.

latapy10

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2019
Europe
I had one carapo and one Black ghost knivefish in the same tank without problems.
I had problems when I added botia modesta...Botia modesta killed black ghost knivefish.But carapo survived.

1641747004388 nožovce (4).jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store