H

Manas

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2017
Udaipur, Rajasthan, India
Hi guys, i have a 4 feet tank and i have a couple of cichlids including a firemouth, a tiger Oscar, an albino oscar, electric yellow auratus, stripped auratus, a golden Severum, a Convict cichlid a rainbow Shark, a pleco, 2 apple snails, a green terror, and a yellow parrot. Guys my issue is that the firemouth periodically chases Severum and parrot, but Severum constantly chases parrot and but in his fins. I have a lots of housing places such as a small cave, a small pot, some submerged money plants. What should i do with the Severum. I love them both. Severum is 4" and parrot is 3.5". Firemouth is 3.5". Green terror is 3.4". Test all fishes are 3". Thx

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi guys, i have a 4 feet tank and i have a couple of cichlids including a firemouth, a tiger Oscar, an albino oscar, electric yellow auratus, stripped auratus, a golden Severum, a Convict cichlid a rainbow Shark, a pleco, 2 apple snails, a green terror, and a yellow parrot. Guys my issue is that the firemouth periodically chases Severum and parrot, but Severum constantly chases parrot and but in his fins. I have a lots of housing places such as a small cave, a small pot, some submerged money plants. What should i do with the Severum. I love them both. Severum is 4" and parrot is 3.5". Firemouth is 3.5". Green terror is 3.4". Test all fishes are 3". Thx

Welcome to MFK ☺ I hate to say this but your aquarium is too small for all of those Cichlids and as they mature you will have some deaths occur. I personally suggest you rehome the Africans they are too aggressive for the mixture.

Last edited:

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Appears to me you have a collection of fish with territorial tendencies and not enough space. Not sure how big a tank would be needed, but not in a four foot tank. Some of the species are fairly aggressive under the best of conditions and somebody has to be at the bottom of the pecking order.

A four foot tank is often a 55 gallon, but I guess can be more if wider and deeper. If a 55 gallon many, including me, will consider the tank much too overstocked. Many think an Oscar needs around a 75 on it's own.

Got no real good suggestions other than get a much bigger tank or get rid of some fish.

Good luck anyway.

Reactions: Manas and tlindsey

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I agree with tlindsey tlindsey you will need to thin out the stock coz you got quite a few potentially large fish in a faitly small tank for the amount of fish inside...

Manas

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2017
Udaipur, Rajasthan, India
Also guys, when i put the albino oscar (2.5") all fishes nipped his fins specially the tiger Oscar. I have separated him to a hospital tank and his tail fin is totally gone. I have given him medications and he is not eating anything from last 3 days. He is still active and his tail fin began to grow again. How do i make him eat. Thx

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Yeah probably im going to buy a 8 feet tank. Hope it might solve the problem.
Hello; just as with a four foot tank the width and depth of an eight foot tank will make a lot of difference. Any idea as to the total volume in gallon or liters you plan to get.

The good thing is that with an eight foot tank you should be able to keep more of the existing stock. That is if you do it right away. If you wait a while there likely will be fewer survivors and those left may fit much better, that is until some start to reach full size.

Just because I am curious, how did you come to think all the fish you now have would fit in a four foot tank???

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Welcome to MFK!
You have already been made aware of the problems your going to have with an overstocked tank so I'm not going to beat you up about it.

Also guys, when i put the albino oscar (2.5") all fishes nipped his fins specially the tiger Oscar. I have separated him to a hospital tank and his tail fin is totally gone. I have given him medications and he is not eating anything from last 3 days. He is still active and his tail fin began to grow again. How do i make him eat. Thx
What are you trying to feed?
You may need to switch things up to get the oscar eating again.
Maybe temp it with some frozen foods.
If that doesn't work try some earthworms. Not much will turn down a juicy worm. Once it's eating again then you can slowly reintroduce some pellets.
If your oscar is to small to take a whole worm you may have to chop some up. It's not pleasant but it works.

Reactions: GamerChick5567
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store