hand feeding florida gars...

scabbedwings616

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2013
United States
feeding tongs ect.. but most floridas are lazy once they hit the end of the first yoy... about 12" or so.. I wouldn't feed them beef.. but fish.. diversity is always best imo. since you have 2 a good strat imo would be to toss a few floating pellets or freeze dried krill at the top then hand-feed.... between the 2 fish they are going to start taking from the top as well as what your offering by hand. Maybe add the pellets ect while your cutting up the fish ect to feed so they have a few minutes w/ the floating food. I sometimes hand-feed my 24" trop... lemme say that makes your underpants squidgy sometimes when she smacks a piece. I float it and when she comes up for it I let it go and pull back as it hits her snout.. and she whacks it.... no way would I be holding onto the other end when she smacks it... bad bad habit... but was only way I could get her to eat at first, was to literally drop food on her nose... now she'll eat anything that hits the water.
i am doing fresh shrimp, the adding freeze dried krill and some pellets. food sticks work too and eventually i know they will eat them. been off live feeders for 3 weeks now and they are fine and healthy.

jpcampbell123

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2011
In the water
you could try dancing some pieces of raw shrimp on the end of a fishing line or some pieces of raw fish on a fishing line and just thread it through it enough where it can be gave them and it slides off when they take it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store