Hap. Ruby Greens have malawi bloat

navygirl76

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Ohio
www.flickr.com
epson salt. did u read the great article dr joe did on bloat? it tells you exactly how to treat it.. it wouldnt hurt to throw an airstone in either.

tydus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2007
California
Thanks. No, I don't think I've read it before. Can you give me a link? I'll go ahead and throw in an air stone then. I'll do whatever it takes to save my beloved fish.

navygirl76

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Ohio
www.flickr.com
mike dunagan gave you the link on the first page of this post- but here is what dr joe said about NOT using aquarium salt, ONLY epson for bloat/dropsy.

EPSOM SALT may help reduce the internal pressure caused by the swelling. Extremely good aeration is necessary here due to the use of such high temperatures.

NEVER USE SALT (sodium chloride, a.k.a. aquarium salt) for treatment of dropsy. This will KILL your fish in a very short time. The affected fish are already having a difficult time getting rid of salts due to kidney dysfunction. This causes the blown up appearance and concurrent scale standing. The osmotic imbalance caused by addition of sodium to your tank water will make this condition far worse.

EPSOM SALT on the other hand, does not pass through the walls of the gut or gills and will extract water OUT of the surrounding tissue into the gut where it *may* be excreted.

the link (which is a great one!) is on the first page-look there and its on mike d's reply to you..

tydus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2007
California
Oh crap. I better switch to epsom salt. Thanks. By the way my lone male died. I am so sad right now. The only one left to cure is a female. I am now maleless. It's okay though, I am going to order new ones through one of my local dealers.

tezr

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2007
Austin TX
www.rivercityaquatics.com
You always want to increase surface movement when you increase the temp in your tank as the water holds less O2. Either an air stone or a powerhead that sprays across the surface or pointing your output from your filter twards the surface.

tydus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2007
California
Thanks man. I'm pretty stoked right now. So sad. I now have no more males left, all but 4 females with 1 female having bloat. I'm hopeless. Hey jhutch, are you still getting those ruby greens from Jim and pharoah?

navygirl76

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Ohio
www.flickr.com
id hold off on getting any new fish until you have cured the ones you have. it would suck to introduce perfectly healthy into a contaminated tank. just be patient. see what happens with the female, keep those waterchanges going and syphon the gravel and wait a bit. if not, youll just be wasting money.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store