Has anyone kept large mouth bass?

Bottomfeeder

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Land of the flea and home of the whopper.
Largemouth bass can be kept in captivity, and are quite hardy if given proper conditions. The main challenge is providing enough space for them... they really can grow to be quite large, and can be surprisingly active... nothing short of three hundred gallons is appropriate to house one for life, IMO... like all sunfish, they can also be somewhat hostile towards their roommates, and of course, they will try to eat anything that fits in the their mouth... and even some things that don't. It's not uncommon for them to choke to death on fish that are just a little too large to swallow.

I've also heard that it can be difficult to get them off live prey. In the wild, they feed mainly on smaller fish and crayfish, but will eat all manner of small animals that are found in and around the water. They have big appetites, so it's obviously better if they will take a wide variety of prey rather than refusing all but live fish. I think a diet of whole fish, market prawns, earthworms, high quality processed food, and possibly some beefheart or chicken liver or something every so often.

As Oddball said, expect a pretty wicked growth rate. Bass grow quite quickly, and they don't stay small for very long. They have to grow quickly... bass are highly cannibalistic, so they're always on the menu in the wild.

They're very intelligent, and quite interesting aquarium specimens for those who like predatory fish. However, their large size and hefty food bill probably makes them best left to dedicated, experienced keepers. If you're up for the challenge, go for it. But be ready to provide them a huge enclosure within the next two years.

Betta132

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2015
The guys at forum.nanfa.org can tell you anything and everything there is to know about keeping North American native fish, including bass.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
But be ready to provide them a huge enclosure within the next two years.
OP is all set in terms of large enclosure........he's got a swimming pool pond running! He just needs to work out the "logistics" with that RTC growing out in there

Reactions: PonDgUrU

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
lmbs are great fish, super personality once they acclimate to aquarium life, and extremely easy to break off live food when young. I've raised a couple that met some untimely demises due to my errors (one got to pushy with my grass pickerel and ending up being a meal...the other got caught up in the intake of a canister filter) but they were eating tilapia the second day I had them, and they were wild caught.

PonDgUrU

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2015
south texas
Even the largest bass would be a mere morsel for even a medium-sized redtail cat.
That's why i'm holding off on anymore fish for right now and the temp is already lower than i'd like it to be so the cats need to go inside for a few months.. Once i've reviewed all my heating options and i can manage to get it a little warmer ill start adding fish again

screaminleeman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2009
Westminster, MD
I had one outgrow a 115 gallon from September 2013 - April 2014.

My nephews were seining for minnows and a 1"er they caught looked more like a LMB baby than the three types of minnows that were prevalent in the area.

It was indeed a LMB. It was moved to my spring fed farm pond in early April 2014 at 8" as it was domineering my two Indo Datnoids and Bichirs nearly twice its size so bad that they would no longer come out of hiding.

Betta132

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2015
50 channel cats? If most of them survive to adulthood, that is going to be an absolutely massive bio-load. I hope you have a big pond.

Reactions: PonDgUrU
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store