Has my FX6's reign come to an end?

MetalRavioli

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2022
Massachusetts
azariah.wikidot.com
Hey everyone! I have a 90-gallon planted tank with an FX6 filter setup. Recently I have noticed that filters flow has been extremely slow, in contrast to its usual high output. I have cleaned the filter pads (in tank water) rinsed out the intake and outtake tubes, but neither of these have seemed to fix the issue. I got the FX6 along with my 90 around a year ago from an individual who had the tank for an unknown period of time. Is this a simple issue that could be fixed? Or is my filter friend simply at the end of his life?

qldmick

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2016
FX6's should last a lot longer than a year. Do you ever clean inside the impeller housing?

Reactions: tlindsey

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
^Yeah really,did you buy the thing "second hand"?

MetalRavioli

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2022
Massachusetts
azariah.wikidot.com
FX6's should last a lot longer than a year. Do you ever clean inside the impeller housing?
^Yeah really,did you buy the thing "second hand"?
It is in fact second hand, I got the filter along with the tank and its stand for 180$ around a year ago, and the previous owner had the filter for at least some time, not sure entirely how long. I haven't cleaned the impellar housing, if a replacement isn't the answer then maybe that could be. But since it is second hand, could it just be dying?

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
^ Agreed, on or off. If the impeller shaft/rotor is clogged with gunk...and if you haven't touched it in a year, and perhaps the previous owner didn't either, it is!...that slows it down, but the motor is still trying to do its job against increasing resistance. Heat, friction...the motor's going to burn out way sooner than normal.

Why do people think that stuff just magically runs forever without maintenance?

Reactions: MetalRavioli

MetalRavioli

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2022
Massachusetts
azariah.wikidot.com
^ Agreed, on or off. If the impeller shaft/rotor is clogged with gunk...and if you haven't touched it in a year, and perhaps the previous owner didn't either, it is!...that slows it down, but the motor is still trying to do its job against increasing resistance. Heat, friction...the motor's going to burn out way sooner than normal.

Why do people think that stuff just magically runs forever without maintenance?
gonna be honest, I did not know the impellar was removable, as I've tried to remove it to clean it before without success. Gonna try again, hopefully with success this time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store