Has this ever happen to anyone else?

rub3n23

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2010
Florida
I went to feed my fish today and as I have done hundreds of time I placed the pleco's food in the bottom of a vase so the Oscars dont have a chance to eat it before it hits the bottom. And once I finish placing the food I drop in my slow sinking pellets for the rest. Well today my Albino Oscar decides to jump half way out the tank and take a bite of me after I dropped in the pellets. And the little ****** broke skin. So just curious as to how common something like this is?

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
it's oscar men, they are pig!

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Never had happen with Oscars, but definitely with arowana

mercury904

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Philippines
maybe they are just really hungry and figured out that the food is way above the water

PSU21Reef

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2010
pennsylvania
Yep, my oscar does it every time I feed him. He sees me walk up with the bag and comes to the corner where I feed, and the second my hand is above the tank he is jumping out of the water at my hand.

Maor0

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2011
Israel
Oscars are crazy, they do it all the time... food drives them crazyyyy

fisher12889

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 21, 2006
Colorado
Never had happen with Oscars, but definitely with arowana
When I had my silver I was holding my hand about a foot above the tank, not really paying attention and the next thing you know I had a 20" aro hanging off my finger. It scared the $#!@ outta me and I pulled my arm back, with the aro attached lol. It hit the ground but I got it back in the tank within a few hectic seconds, and it was fine within a few minutes. That's something that only needs to happen once, I learned from my mistake and pay close attention anytime I have my hands near or in the water with aggressive fish!

rub3n23

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2010
Florida
Yep, my oscar does it every time I feed him. He sees me walk up with the bag and comes to the corner where I feed, and the second my hand is above the tank he is jumping out of the water at my hand.
They do the same thing. I don't even need food in my hand I just have to walk next to the tank. He's actuly never got a piece of me, but i was also not paying attention. And i definitly didn't expect him to break skin. If anything it's cool story to tell my guest.

jadedreams

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2011
Oklahoma
My tiger O does it frequently, named Jaws for a reason lol. I even try to get visitors to feed him/her, just warn them to be quick - guess I'm just evil...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store