Have ANOTHER tank that I need stocking suggestions for...

LimaShovelnoseSaltwater92

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2018
Hello, I have a 150 gallon (I know it is an odd size) aquarium with 1 Lima shovelnose (have kept before) and 2 needle nose “gars” (I know they are not really gars). I would like some more suggestions for some other fish to go in with them. I have heard a marbled goby might be good or maybe an Oscar (might eat needle noses). I also know have limited my choices by getting those needle noses. Any suggestion is welcome, (tip:I really like catfish). Thank you!!!

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Just spit balling here but a big group of angelfish? I'm doing a group in a 55 of mine.
Also if you're in the us then there's about a 99% chance you don't have a lima shovelnose. You have a Sorubim-elongatus which maxes out at a foot instead of 2 feet for a true lima. Just warning you that you might not have what you think you have.

LimaShovelnoseSaltwater92

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2018
Just spit balling here but a big group of angelfish? I'm doing a group in a 55 of mine.
Also if you're in the us then there's about a 99% chance you don't have a lima shovelnose. You have a Sorubim-elongatus which maxes out at a foot instead of 2 feet for a true lima. Just warning you that you might not have what you think you have.
Good suggestion about the angels, I will think about that. I need to make sure they are on the larger size so nothing picks on them. Also, I have looked up sorubim-elongatus and it does look a lot like the one I have but so does the regular Lima. They are very similar but I am now leaning towards thinking I have the sorubim, but I kind of like it’s colors more the the true Lima that I saw in the pictures... I don’t really care about which it is as long as I have a “shovelnose” catfish. Lima or any other... at least it’s not a tsn.. that would be a different story!!

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
If I remember correctly, I've seen full grown angelfish for sale for around $20 a piece. But that was at a petco... if I were you and was gonna go with the angels I'd get a group of 15 or so, raise them and see which ones you like the best then rehome the rest. Or maybe keep all 15.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
How about some of the following:
Koi angelfish
Pictus catfish
Clown loaches
Imperial flower loach
Decent size madtom cats
Marbled hoplo catfish
Banjo catfish (if you have sand)
Large striped Raphael cats
Black ghost knife

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Yes but if he wanted a fish by itself. Or maybe a group of them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store