Have any of you successfully trained your Datnoid to eat flakes?

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
That's kind of cool,is that all you give him,and how's that thinbar holding up,Jay?
Nah.. but he is a pig so when i feed the barbs and angels he eats flake right along with them. He is ok... might call off selling him, I just chased a 3 inch ngt around the 500 with charney for an houtand we couldnt catch it... just stressed the rays out.

Gar88

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2011
INDIA
All right.. I see, thanks, Gar88.

So have you got them to eat pellets? Do you still have dats? It's only a matter of time I'm going to have to train my dat to take pellets instead of thawing, melting, and feeding frozen bloodworms all the time.. of course, I'm still planing to feed bloodworms, but definitely not everyday, it gets expensive.. but just as treats every two or three days.. I'm guessing I'm going to have to starve the dat for a few days while letting him/her see the pellets be eaten by other fish, so it would entice him/her to eat pellets eventually?
Yes have a few still and all are on pellets. All you need is patience. And yes just feeding BW for their initial growth is not enough. Feed live for a short time until he is ready to go starving. I've had luck with mysis shrimp initially try that.
One NTT of mine starved himself to death.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Flake is a horrible diet for fish compared to a quality pellet. Soon as flake hits the water you loose loads of nutrients in to the water!
I know a lot of old schoolers like to mix up the diet but IMO exclusively fed only one QUALITY pellet is more then a fish needs.

I don't have Dats but want them so that's why I'm in this area :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store