MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury

HackJob

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
NH
If I haggle, I use cash, and say I have $20 what will that buy me. Haggling can make it fair for everyone. Don't screw the LFS, but if you can buy a fish for $1 at a chain (neons what & nots) I am not paying $3.99 each at the LFS. Usually I have a fair price in mind, and I don't mind paying a few extra dollars, especially if they are easy to deal with.

I have a LFS that is less friendly, but huge higher end stock. I usually don't buy because seldom offer good deals.

Or

A local start up that bought my dry live rock gave me store credit. Offers better deals for fish and plants. Friendly owners. I try to throw them as much business as I can.

archers

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2012
canada
Not really. The only time I ever really haggle was when I buy big tank set ups ill usually ask them to throw in a couple of bigger fish. Or if I see a fish thats been sitting around for a while I might ask for a bit of a discount

Sent from my SGH-I317M using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

BellycrawlerJaws

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2010
Long Island, New York
I only haggle for large fish that are trade-ins to the store that I know they spent nothing acquiring. But generally I pay the price they have because the one LFS near me (Aqua Hut) has an amazing selection, knowledgable staff, impeccable prices, and will help you out in any way they can. (not to mention 40 gallon tanks are the smallest they keep fish they're selling in).

So yes, I do haggle slightly but only for large trade-in fish.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I often do but gently, in a way of "never hurts to ask politely" when I buy more than one fish or a pricey fish(es). I was met with the first ever serious push back only a month ago, when an employee got a bit riled up and earnestly said that customers who are always asking for a discount are his pet peeve and this is not a flea market and such customers will not get a good service from him, etc. It's ok. Perhaps, indeed, I've outbargained my welcome :) After all, we all differ and we can adjust. That employee did give me a discount or two before and is a pleasant guy, really.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Pretty cocky,that guy...especially at this point and time when businesses are closing down left and right.There are petty much no mom and pop type pet stores left in this city as they have all gone out of business.That employee may yet find himself at a point where he really hopes a customer would come into his store looking to spend money.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
I don't haggle. If it's somthing I want I buy it. If I don't like the price I don't buy it. I do agree with so many Mom & Pop stores going out of bussiness I will pay a little more to try and throw bussiness there way. A few years ago my LFS (about a mile from my house) closed shortly after a Pet chain store opened a few miles away. Because of that I lost a great place to get my supplies as he would order whatever I needed and stocked some stuff I used to buy all the time so I could get it easly, a chain store isn't doing that for me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store