Having a problem priming DIY PVC overflow

SlammedDC2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2006
Tennessee
So last night I scraped my old PVC siphon for a DIY PVC overflow.
Built it just like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DFk4bnIxEg&feature=related
I set everything back up and now I can't get it to prime. I have the check valve in (the right way) I have filled the tank/tube. I have tried to suck the air out to prime it. It will start to overflow...until I stop sucking then the water backs up into the tank and stops. Why can't I get this primed? Any help/idea's would be great. Thank you

ruddybop

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2011
Erie Pa.
www.youtube.com
So last night I scraped my old PVC siphon for a DIY PVC overflow.
Built it just like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DFk4bnIxEg&feature=related
I set everything back up and now I can't get it to prime. I have the check valve in (the right way) I have filled the tank/tube. I have tried to suck the air out to prime it. It will start to overflow...until I stop sucking then the water backs up into the tank and stops. Why can't I get this primed? Any help/idea's would be great. Thank you
Take a picture of it in all views.... Then maybe we can help.... WE like pics... :)

SlammedDC2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2006
Tennessee
Take a picture of it in all views.... Then maybe we can help.... WE like pics... :)
I'm with you on pictures, however I already had the tank back against the wall and pictures are impossible.

I pulled the check valve out and put a fitting in place and used some epoxy to seal it in place. I got it primed and working...for about three minutes. Overflow stopped and water started to build up. I messed with it for the next hour or so. I can't figure it out. I've already broken down and decided on a CPR overflow box.

I'll go back to square one on my 55 when i build the sump for that, it's easier to access and much lighter (and quicker to drain/refill) in the event it needs to be moved.

But thank you.

KaiserSousay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2009
PartlyCloudyFlorida
decided on a CPR overflow box.

I would do a bit more research on overflows.
The CPR style needs an Aqualifter to keep it working.
Good luck.

BTW..plenty of PVC "pretzel" overflows in use. You just did someting wrong with yours.

npaetsch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2011
rantoul, il
it sounds to me like you have a pipe not sealed all the way. if it sucks air from one of the fitting it will loose siphon .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store