head injury

stickman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2008
canada
on friday i found my adult midas lying on the bottom of his tank and he had a large purple mark on his forehead. when i approach his tank, he does make an effort to come see me the way he usually does, but he cant get upright. nom the purple mark isnt as bad on his head, but he sort of has a black eye. im guessing he hit the lid a little harder than usual but not exactly sure what he did. there is only one other fish in there, a small convict ( not even an inch) he may have been chasing him around. sorry camera is on the fritz, no pics. anyone deal with something like this before? any chance he will recover? he is still laying there, not really acting any different.

bigspizz

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2007
I wish you had a camera....If the description is accurate, he very well could have hit his head too hard. Usually when a fish "knocks" them selves out, they get lethargic for a few moments. He may have brain damage. But if he is "laying" on the ground for 4 days, I think anything could have happened.

When is the last time you did a water change? Give us your tanks stats.

stickman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2008
canada
the only test kits i have are ammonia,ph, and hardness, would these results be helpful in this case?

stickman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2008
canada
ammonia is somewhere between the 0 mark and the 0.25 mark on my test kit. could the high ammonia be my problem? is now a good time to do a water change?

bigspizz

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2007
Yes change water, if you have any ammonia. I am unsure a diagnosis can be conducted, considering the provided information.

stickman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2008
canada
well its been almost a whole week now still no better. im gueessing i should have euthinized him already but still holding out hope i guess. what do you think???

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store