Healing tank for child. Need opinions.

jerzyperson

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2008
Indiana
So my baby brother is currently at riley's children hospital in Indianapolis indiana for a softball sized tumor in his brain. It's a very terrifying time for my whole family as he's only 6 weeks old. Well I got the green light from my step mom to setup a fish tank for him. Something he can get addicted to while I get my life together and get a house of my own

On to where I need your help. All this was planned before discovery of the tumor. However I'm still setting up a tank for him. I am picking up a 4x2x2 tank and I'm trying to decide what to do. I'm a huge fan of Geo and gymnogeo earth eaters. Very relaxing, very active community fish. With a little mix of silver dollars and angels. But I'm here at Ronald McDonald house while he's at the nicu and they have Africans in all their tanks. Now I'm by no means a fan of Africans but they have some you don't see at petco or petsmart (I order all my fish through known vendors, petco and petsmart is just a common reference)

I need help with more exotic lesser known beautiful africans, how many of what species etc. For a wide footprint 125g. Or what space filler top and bottom dwellers can I throw in with my original eartheaters idea.

There's a good possibility he could he could have brain damage. What kind of diagnosis he'll have is unknown until he's older. So I'm worried the colors of the Africans mixed with their aggression and rapid movement as they chase eachother could trigger something. I've never kept africans. So that's where the advice would be needed. Tia. This means the world to me because instead of taking this tank once I get my own place. This is forever a gift to him from me. Fish cured my depression for a long time until I had to sell off my collection. I know this will benefit him as long as he has it. And I'd do anything for my little siblings.

Again really appreciate the input. I'm partial to the earth eaters unless you African guys can hook me up with a good stock list and it's something different cool but more docile than your average peacock assortment.

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Firstly sorry to hear your news my mother suffered from a brain tumor and had it removed so I know how your feeling at the min.
Goldfish or fancy ranchu is a good idea no aggression bright colours and easy maintenance
But if your set on cichlids and Africans check out calvus cichlids they were my favourite when I was keeping Africans I got bored of the mabunas quickly but these guys had little personalities more like American cichlids.
If your into geo's why not try a few of them in a river boulder scaped tank ,few caves , few plecs, maybe a shoal of something small and peaceful?
Hope your brother enjoys whatever you decide on , my thoughts are with you and your family

Reactions: jerzyperson

Busterny

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2015
Rochester, NY
Sorry to hear about your little brother. Being your really into geos and looking for lots of color, why not add some swordtails. Almost all Drs. Offices and children hospitals have livebearers. I have seen some gorgeous South American tanks ( from Stanzzz) that have geos with swords. The swords are colorful and kids love seeing the babies. Hope all turns out well with your family

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
I'm terribly sorry to hear about your brother's condition. This sounds like a very nice idea. I have kept some Africans, but I worked at the store with the best selection in Florida. We had people come from as far as Georgia and the Carolinas to shop. So for awesome Africans I recommend peacocks and haps. There are so many peacock cichlid color varieties so I'll let you pick, but sunshine, ruby red, lemon jake, and red shoulders come to mind.

As for others to mix with them:

Yellow blaze lithobates
Rock kribensis
Red empress
Taiwan reef cichlid
synodontis catfish

and many others, but those are my personal favorites for color, size, and temperament.

He'd probably enjoy picking some out too. Just stick with the peacocks and haps (no mbuna) and you should be okay. Remember that Africans need to be stocked a little more dense to distribute aggression.

jerzyperson

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2008
Indiana
I was thinking mollies and sword tails with maybe a school of silver dollars. And than maybe some more exotic plecos. Definitely like the sand bottom drift wood and Boulder landscape scheme. I'm just a fan of geos for the relaxing way they move. They aren't fast, have great colors without being too flashy.

I appreciate the help and the good wishes. I'm not a big African fan. I'm just seeing if any African vets have any input to change my mind. But I'm most likely sold on geos and tetras and some docile bottom dwellers.

Mikegoeshard

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2010
California
Do not go africans on the basis of too much work and they often die for no reason and you don't want that for your nephew. I would go with a south american community fish they are much more hardy and live through tons of different water conditions. I don't buy goldfish but some fancy could be nice... Hopefully your nephew feels better hate to hear children go through things like that because child hood is so short

jerzyperson

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2008
Indiana
It's actually a little closer to home. He's my 6 week old baby brother. And that's what I'm thinking. I just am not a fan of goldfish. Just too bland in my opinion. My dad threw out the native tank idea since I live on a lake. And it'd be nice for him to see the kinds of fish we go fishing for all the time. I'm setting the tank up tonight. Get the cycling started. I really appreciate all the help here!!

Reactions: Mikegoeshard

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
My prayers for your family, I hope he has a full recovery

Have you thought about a single wet pet like a chocolate or pearsei that he can bond with

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store