Heater controller

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
The first product on that page is a prewired ranco with 1 receptacle up to 1800 watts. Being prewired means it can be plugged into an existing outlet. If you were to buy a unit off of amazon you would have to wire it yourself, mine is wired to 4 outlets. This picture should help you a bit.

http://www.etcsupply.com/images/etc_prewired/ranco_etc_wired.jpg?osCsid=6j5j9k5gftogs34a547isvp617

All the green wiring is non existant on a normal new unit. I had mine wired by an electrician friend. You can use a splitter (not sure if correct term) to run multiple heaters.
Aaahhh ok so one receptacle per heater.. cool thx bro

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Aaahhh ok so one receptacle per heater.. cool thx bro
$7.00 upgrade on jehmco I think, you can add an extra receptacle on etcsupply to your cart and choose to have it added on a unit in your cart. I only have one, I'm not sure I'd want a second.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
I like my JBJ True Temp system. So easy, even I figured it out. Temperature probe and heater plug into the controller. I just took one out of the box to take a picture. (didn't take the heater out, since everyone knows what a heater looks like) On our 300 gallon tank, I have the temperature probe in the wet/dry filter, the controller mounted on the side of the stand and the heater in a capped off overflow box that the wet/dry filter pumps into.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I like my JBJ True Temp system. So easy, even I figured it out. Temperature probe and heater plug into the controller. I just took one out of the box to take a picture. (didn't take the heater out, since everyone knows what a heater looks like) On our 300 gallon tank, I have the temperature probe in the wet/dry filter, the controller mounted on the side of the stand and the heater in a capped off overflow box that the wet/dry filter pumps into.

Thx for the pic pacu mom

So what do these things actually do. Over ride the heaters thermometer? Ensure if using multiple heaters all are working equally as hard?

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Basically yes. You set the temp you want on the controller. The disadvantage of the JBJ is that there is one controller per heater. The controller is not for multiple heaters. I very briefly had considered an inline system until I saw the prices. Plan on tossing several heaters with their probes into the sump when the big tank gets set up and calling it a day.

Def Leppard Hysteria

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2005
Omaha, NE
We use JBJ True Temp systems on all our tanks (from 1000 watts down to 150 watts) and have had good luck with them so far. Very easy to adjust and calibrate.

Reactions: pacu mom

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
$7.00 upgrade on jehmco I think, you can add an extra receptacle on etcsupply to your cart and choose to have it added on a unit in your cart. I only have one, I'm not sure I'd want a second.
If you get from etc, you can also send Sara an email to specify exactly how many plugs you want and the length of all the cables. If you reference the picture in the other post it should give you an exact idea of how it could turn out.

As you may know, using a controller with heaters with their own thermostats also allows for back up and redundancy in case one of the thermostats on heater or controller go nuts. I use titanium and don't have that ability.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Ok cool thx man
If you get from etc, you can also send Sara an email to specify exactly how many plugs you want and the length of all the cables. If you reference the picture in the other post it should give you an exact idea of how it could turn out.

As you may know, using a controller with heaters with their own thermostats also allows for back up and redundancy in case one of the thermostats on heater or controller go nuts. I use titanium and don't have that ability.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
This is why I like "stand-alone" units......redundancy

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
In case you were wondering about the specifics jaws. I have 3 Jaeger heaters on my heater controller set to 88 or 90F. When the ranco is at the desired temp a relay stops the power from flowing into the heaters. When the temp falls the ranco will put power through to the heaters. Since they are all set to 88 they all kick on at the same time. Once the temp rises back over the set temp the power cuts off so they all shut off at the same time. I have my heaters at the end of my sump right before the pumps, and the probe upstream but in the same chamber. (no baffles in between) This forces the water to heat through basically the entire tank until it heats up the water at the beginning of the sump. With the Jaeger they will kick off once they hit 88, so if the ranco were to fail and remain on it wouldn't cook the fish. I've had one unit fail due to water getting into the probe, fortunately it read way above my actual temp (reading 100F and beyond in 70F water) so that if I had used a titanium heater my fish would still not have been cooked. Neither of my units have been shrink wrapped.

Reactions: jaws7777
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store