Heater

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Also consider insulating the bottom and non viewing sides with Styrofoam insulation. (Some people will advise not to put styro under larger tanks but thats a different thread entirely) Ive had good success with this method. Ive got a 29g tank with fry in my basement which is normally 50*f
The tank stays at 77* without the heater being on constantly. Before the insulation it never shut off. Since putting the insulation in I've actually put swapped the 100w for a 50w.

I will be using this method on my display tanks upstairs.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

viejafish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2013
Northeast
The greatest challenge is heating tanks in unheated and unAC basement because the room temperature fluctuation can be huge. You have to size the heater powerful enough to raise the low temperature in winter, but then the same heater is over sized in summer in danger of over heating. A two heater approach makes sense as you can unplug one in summer.

Malefactor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2014
United States
The note of 2 heaters at lower watts or controllers, I use a Ranco. Functions like a controller, but less likely to fail and when it does will usually do so in the "off" position. Posted this in another thread about an hr ago or so. Set heater to 2 degree above desired level and Ranco at desired level. If heater blows, Ranco controls temp. If Ranco happens to go in on position, heater only goes 2 degree higher and both are needed to fail for catastrophe. Since Ranco is a commercial unit that usually only costs about $30, it's a good investment since it will last years and years and years.

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
Yup the ranco is the way to go. I've got one on order along with 3 300 W heaters.

I DO have a 300 W heater that is stuck right now.

I've got it in a 55 with 2 puffers it keeps the temp at 82 and won't go up or down in temp no matter where you put the dial.
Been like this for a while now.
it's a aqueon 300 total submersible . About 5 years old or so.
I'm debating if I should leave it, or replace it with one of the new ones on order, and hook it up to the ranco controller with the others.

Rich

philducati

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2014
FV
wow, no other company out there made a heater for 180g up with one power plug?????????? I am using two Eheim Jager 300w my 120g it take 6-8hrs to get my tank up 82 degree, I am about to upgrade to 240g looking one heater that work in one tank

noside

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2014
NJ
wow, no other company out there made a heater for 180g up with one power plug?????????? I am using two Eheim Jager 300w my 120g it take 6-8hrs to get my tank up 82 degree, I am about to upgrade to 240g looking one heater that work in one tank
If you want to go that route JBJ has a 1000 watt titanium unit.
There is anything you want as long as you are willing to look and pay.

I wouldn't do it but I'm not here to tell other people what they should do.

I use one Jager 300 and one Finnex titanium 300 on a jbj controller for my 180 it will take about 2 hours to go from 80-82 in a 75* room.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I am using two Eheim Jager 300w my 120g it take 6-8hrs to get my tank up 82 degree
Starting at what temp? Heaters are designed to rise slowly for the sake of the fish.

If you want to go that route JBJ has a 1000 watt titanium unit.
There is anything you want as long as you are willing to look and pay.

I wouldn't do it but I'm not here to tell other people what they should do.
Solid advice.....bigger/faster is not always better

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store