Heating an outdoor Pond aaaaaaaand....

Bllib

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2007
In a box of Pop Tarts!
Hey guys! I am totally a noob with ponds. Had an outdoor aquarium which I really liked but the wife was not so hip on it. Some how managed to convince her that a pond with a water fall would be a great idea so here we are. The pond is about 300 gallons nothing to crazy but I am curious if anyone in LA is using a heater at all?? Did some research but most of the articles that talk about heaters and in places that get really cold whether and so not very helpful. I would love to be able to some oscars in the pond :)

Also if your in LA and you don't use a heater what did you put in your pond? Would prefer not to have goldfish or Koi but I suppose if that's the only thing that will stay alive then....

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
When I lived in Agora, I remember winter nights getting pretty cold, perhaps a bit cold for oscars, unless the pond would be covered most every night.
And heating the pond might be exceedingly costly (especially pertinent when the not so fish loving wife sees the energy bill). I had one of those, needless to say, I was divorced.
The only new world cichlids I would think that could withstand those temps, would be those of northern Mexico, or those from Uruguay, or Argentina.
The problem with these cichlids, is they are almost invisible from above.
Below, a shot of Herichthys carpintus (from mid and northern Mex.) taken
from above.
1652451268801.png
There are a number of reasons koi and goldfish are the preferred pond fish.
And it took thousands of years of line breeding to get them this way.
1652451508713.png
Remember, what the wife sees as a cool fish in the pond, may differ from your idea.
Oscars in a pond below.
1652451953606.png

Last edited:

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
If you want to sell your wife on the idea that a pond is a good thing, you need to make it attractive...not just attractive to you as a fishkeeper, but also to her. The two best steps in this direction are simple.

First: plants. Flowers, foliage plants, aquatic plants...all of them. A water lily is what sold my wife on the pond. The first time a couple of leaves unfolded at the surface, she was hooked. And the first time that a bud opened and that lovely little flower burst into view, she fell in love. To this day, both she and I spend more time messing around with plants in and around the pond and it's very relaxing.

Second: fish you can actually see. Oscars are a favourite of mine, but like almost all aquarium fish they become practically invisible when viewed from above. So what's the point? You need colourful fish that are visible at a glance to a non-fishkeeper. Koi and goldfish are great, but they grow fast and will soon outgrow your pond. The quick, cheap and simple alternative is Rosy Red minnows, a colour morph of Fathead minnows. You can buy a bunch of them dirt cheap as feeders, they stay small, are very active and easily visible and they quickly grow tame and charge forward at chow time, creating a cool little feeding frenzy. They breed like mice, and eat easily available and inexpensive food. They present no difficulties and make for a really nice display in a small pond like yours.

I'm partial to them also because they are very hardy in my cold local temps, and even survive under the ice as long as the water doesn't freeze solid all the way down (which mine almost always does). In your climate, you could go with Medakas (Ricefish), mollies, swordtails and platies, probably many other small fish bred for colour. Whatever you do, don't select true tropicals that require a heater; the electric bill to heat an outdoor pond will be insane.

Reactions: Fishman Dave

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
In your climate, you could go with Medakas (Ricefish), mollies, swordtails and platies, probably many other small fish bred for colour. Whatever you do, don't select true tropicals that require a heater; the electric bill to heat an outdoor pond will be insane.
Can mollies, swordtails, and platies handle temps down into the mid 40’s? I’m also in LA and would like to set something in my garage but it gets cold in winter

Bllib

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2007
In a box of Pop Tarts!
Can mollies, swordtails, and platies handle temps down into the mid 40’s? I’m also in LA and would like to set something in my garage but it gets cold in winter
I suppose it would have to depend on what part of LA, but from what I have read mollies, swordtails, and platies are good Coldwater fish. You can also add cherry shrimp to that list to!

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
I suppose it would have to depend on what part of LA, but from what I have read mollies, swordtails, and platies are good Coldwater fish. You can also add cherry shrimp to that list to!
Good to know, I guess I’ll give it a shot

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I've had mollies (latipinna), swords, platies (variatus), and guppies outside that seemed to tolerate several days of temps in the low 60's without ill effects; never left them out colder than that. Medakas down into the 50's.

I didn't realize that LA would experience 40F temps! You guys probably even own coats and sweaters and everything...:)

Reactions: C. Breeze
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store