Help arowana is getting down eye

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
The truth is if you don't like drop eye don't buy a silver
+1 to that! The cost of "upgrading" from a silver to a black or green or even a rtg seems miniscule when spread over the life of the fish and compared to the cost of housing, feeding and maintaining it...

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
silver has the most active eyes and true surface dweller compare to other families, asian should not get DE, but on rare occasion how it handled and treated in the tank i would not be surprise they got DE.
black aro is too boring of a fish..i love silver better but damn those DE a turn off..i opted for the other family :D
You call black aros boring if I said the same about silver aros I wonder what response I would get

The reason I find genetics hard to believe is the problem is the breeders can take fresh adults from the wild to increase the gene pool when ever they want unlike Asian aro

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

unc3chris

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2012
USA
a good friend of mine had 2 silver arowanas in a 125 gallon tank. in the tank they had drop eye. he has since moved them into a 750 gallon indoor pond and they have lost the drop eye. the cause of the drop eye may be as simple as the arowana looking down all the time because there is stuff to look at. in the pond there is no glass to see out of - only up - so they are constantly looking up rather than down or out. remember, in the wild they eat things out of trees so they are constantly looking up into the branches. i have seen people put a ping pong ball on top of the waters so the arowana looks up at it (just make sure your arowana cant swallow it because it will die. mine died from eating a suction cup). other causes of drop eye are fat build up behind the eyes due to fatty foods such as goldfish. try getting your arowana on a diet of hikari pellets. they are healthy and the arowana will have to look up to eat them.
hope that helps
check out my video of my arowana eating pellets
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLgGGwxy5wI
he only had drop eye in one of his eyes (weird) but i didnt really do anything to try to fix it because it wasnt that bad in my opinion.

ska_kid

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2012
Mars
a good friend of mine had 2 silver arowanas in a 125 gallon tank. in the tank they had drop eye. he has since moved them into a 750 gallon indoor pond and they have lost the drop eye. the cause of the drop eye may be as simple as the arowana looking down all the time because there is stuff to look at. in the pond there is no glass to see out of - only up - so they are constantly looking up rather than down or out. remember, in the wild they eat things out of trees so they are constantly looking up into the branches. i have seen people put a ping pong ball on top of the waters so the arowana looks up at it (just make sure your arowana cant swallow it because it will die. mine died from eating a suction cup). other causes of drop eye are fat build up behind the eyes due to fatty foods such as goldfish. try getting your arowana on a diet of hikari pellets. they are healthy and the arowana will have to look up to eat them.
hope that helps
check out my video of my arowana eating pellets
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLgGGwxy5wI
he only had drop eye in one of his eyes (weird) but i didnt really do anything to try to fix it because it wasnt that bad in my opinion.
How big is the tank on the video

typewriter

dayak

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2010
sacramento
You call black aros boring if I said the same about silver aros I wonder what response I would get

The reason I find genetics hard to believe is the problem is the breeders can take fresh adults from the wild to increase the gene pool when ever they want unlike Asian aro

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
i would think/say everyone entitled to their opinion and beauty is the eyes of the beholder.
i do not think its genetics either but possible regardless, i would think its the enviromental the arowanas.
people who is trying to compare black aro and silver aro is missing a point because they are not the same species.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store