Help, bacteria or fungus?

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
What's up with the lips? The hex looks good, when did this start? Post perameters your going to need somthing else for that.

bbradtmiller

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
What's up with the lips? The hex looks good, when did this start? Post perameters your going to need somthing else for that.
Ok, I'll test them after work...I noticed it last night, they look like he has fat lips. Thought it might be bc he's in a small tank for treatment and that he might be banging the glass...is it something else?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Could be duck lips, Flexibacter columnaris which will kill the fish quickly if not treated. Drop you must lower the temp to around 75 to slow it down and add 1 tablespoon of salt per 5 gallons of water. This may help until you can get the meds needed. Your water parameters will dictate what will work best. It looks to me like this fish had two issues at the same time or devloped one after another, not common but not unheard of either.

bbradtmiller

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
Could be duck lips, Flexibacter columnaris which will kill the fish quickly if not treated. Drop you must lower the temp to around 75 to slow it down and add 1 tablespoon of salt per 5 gallons of water. This may help until you can get the meds needed. Your water parameters will dictate what will work best. It looks to me like this fish had two issues at the same time or devloped one after another, not common but not unheard of either.
What would cause this? I already have salt in the tank as per the instructions for the first issue, should I add additional?

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Flexibacter columnaris (Duck lips in this case) is and issue in systems with high organic loads, crowded conditions and or low dissolved oxygen. Flowerhorns seem to be especially prone to this. The best treatment when ph is around 7.2+ is cool water and a combination of Furan 2 with Kenamycin. If you can't find Kenamycin right away start treating with Fruan 2.

If you already have the tank salted no need to add more unless you do a water change with cooler water which i suggest and the re salt the tank this will buy you a little time. It can get hold of the fish because it was already fighting another issue and it immune system was compromised making it more suseptable.

If you can't get Kenamycin try using Maracyn 2 as long as your Ph isn't above 7.5. I'm giving you this option because time is important here and it will help. Once you post parameters we can see which is best but somthing is better than nothing in this case. You can also stop the GC for now. This will take priority.

bbradtmiller

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
Nitrate = 0 ppm
Nitrite = .25 ppm
Ammonia = 2 ppm
pH = 8.2

Could the ammonia and pH be high bc of the meds? Of all my tanks this is the only that has high pH and ammonia? He's the only fish in it. I have done a 25% wc as the GC instructed. But other than that I have not

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1396405613.312411.jpg

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Does the 20g have a cycled filter on it? If not, having 2ppm of ammonia with a fish that size in 20g is not unusual, especially if your tap water is treated with chloramine, which can add ammonia to the tank after you use water conditioner.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Yes, get it if you can and Furan 2.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store